First Industries: to fulfil the conditions imposed by His Lordship, of giving employment to the workmen of the locality, and thus preventing emigration, three industries were started - a Sawmill, Limekiln and a Knitting Industry. The passing of the years saw the disappearance of the sawmills and limekilns, but to the present day, the Knitting Industry flourishes, giving steady employment to local girls, who, when fully trained, are able to secure more lucrative employment in larger towns. In October 1909 the Novitiate was opened, with the purpose of supplying the missions in Malaysia and Japan, with subjects eager to devote themselves to the salvation of souls. During the short period of 25 years, over 200 postulants entered the Novitiate, many of whom went to Malaysia, Japan and America, where, by their spirit of faith and self-sacrifice, they have won thousands of souls for the true Faith.
In Sept. 1911, the Boarding School, providing Secondary Education, was opened. It now accommodates over 130 pupils who are prepared for public examinations.
In August 1912, the first Profession took place and, soon after, the first Missionary Sisters embarked for Malaysia and Japan respectively, where they devoted themselves bringing the teaching of Christ to thousands of souls.
In 1914, the School of Domestic Science was opened. Here pupils are trained in all branches of Household Management as well as Arts and Crafts. These girls are prepared for entrance to the Munster Institute, Cathal Bru, as for St. Catherine's College, Sion Hill, nursing and C.E.R.T.
A new Chapel dedicated to the Little Flower was erected in 1934 and solemnly blessed by His Lordship, Most Reverend Dr. O'Brien, then Bishop of Kerry. On the same occasion, the Silver Jubilee of the Foundation was celebrated. His Lordship again presided at a Solemn High Mass, assisted by the Millstreet clergy.
Our work consists mostly of teaching, but we hope that Vatican II will implement Social Work in different forms.