favoured King James II, and of course when William III whom we know as William of Orange won the war, Clancarty found all his 200,000 acres confiscated. 34
In 1703 the confiscated lands were put up for sale by the Forfeited Estates Court and much of it including the Drisean estate was included in the purchase made by the Hollow Sword Blades Company, who had financed William of Orange's campaign, at a cost of £93,000. In 1709 the company sold the fee simple of the lands, castle, houses etc. of Drishane to Henry Wallis of Ballyduff, Co. Waterford. Donogh MacCarthy had the 99 year lease which had been given to him in 1677 by Clancarty; this he demised to Henry Wallis at a rent of £30 for 40 years in 1716. At this time Donogh MacCarthy was residing in Millstreet while Wallis was living in Drisean and building a house there. MacCarthy died in Millstreet in 1719 so the story that Wallis threw McCarthy's widow out of the castle and she died at the door of the castle does not appear to be correct. In his will MacCarthy appointed Wallis to oversee his will and describes him as his well- beloved friend.
Drisean remained in the Wallis family until 1902. It had been garrisoned again by British military in 1865 when the Fenians threatened to upset the established order of things. The Wallis family put the castle in perfect repair. It was sold in the Court of Chancery on June 4, 1902 before Judge Rose to a Mr. Stack of Fermoy. At the time a French priest, Father Nain, was in Ireland in search of a home for the Paris house of the Sisters of St Maur, the Congregation of the Holy Child Jesus. The infidel governor of the French Republic had restricted the Paris nuns to the house they occupied and they were faced with the threat of expulsion from France. They had extensive responsibilities in the East - in Singapore their schools etc. covered seven acres - and were offered a home in Germany but preferred Ireland. It was a happy day for Millstreet and Ireland and the foreign missions when they came here.
Some of you will want to hear mention of Art O'Laoghaire's association with Drisean Castle. In a little booklet of 85 pages written by a Michael Pyne, a native of Macroom, printed some time in the early 1800s. Pyne states:
"Arthur O'Leary, Esq. lived at Raleigh, two miles west of Macroom, where he married an aunt of Daniel O'Connell (a wilful lassie named Eibhlin Dubh and a widow). Having had a dispute with Abraham Morris Esq. of Dunkettle, too lenghty to be put on record, who was living at the time at Hanover Hall, part of his estate, three miles north of Macroom. The said Morris spending some time at Drisean Castle together with Dominick Harding, father of Philip Harding of Macroom. On these gentlemen travelling home, Mr O'Leary having determined to meet Morris on the road and settle the dispute, travelled through the village of Carriganima and pulled up at the house of Daniel Reardon Barrett where he called for
quart of rum, partaking of the drams and sharing the rest used all his influence he could to alter his plans and turn proceeded until he reached Liscahane, fronting Kilmeedy
with the bystanders. Reardon
note by P O'M:
He was at the Siege of Derry where he nearly got through the Gate known as Butcher's Gate. He
defended Elizabeth Fort in Cork in 1690 and was taken prisoner.