ambushed, armed with sword and forearms; but the party from Drisean had been warned by an express messenger of the impending danger and they turned back to Millstreet, where they procured a guard of soldiers to bear them company and renewed their journey. Shortly after O'Leary made his appearance but out of musket range and going in the same
direction till they came to the village of Carriganima, midway between Macroom and Millstreet. On its appearing to him that he was out of danger he halted his horse and rested his musket on his thigh on the pommel of his saddle. When the officer drew up his men
alongside of a pound ditch, which may resting his forelock on the ditch asked shot O'Leary above the ear who fell
still be seen Morris if he bleeding to
at Mr. O'Shea's house, one of the men
do so liberty
should fire and on
galloped home to Raleigh four miles off and Mrs O'Leary full of gloomy foreboding rode back to find her husband bleeding and attended by a few aged women, to the great grief of the surrounding country . He was carried off, waked, and buried in the old graveyard of Teennadroman, and in six months after was removed to Kilcrea Abbey where the following inscription marks his resting-place:-
'Lo ! grave.
handsome, brave, slain in his youth, lies in this humble
Michael Pyne's account of Art O'Laoire's death was given to him by a man called Jeffrey O'Herlihy of Macroom and a respectable farmer, Daniel Hugh Kelleher, 'who was a marriageable man at the time' and who occupied the ground on which O'Leary was shot and was an eyewitness to the event.
But let us look at the town of Millstreet itself. Lewis (in 1837) states:
"Before 1736 the place consisted only of an inn, a mill and five small cabins. A hundred years later it had one long street, with several smaller one diverging from it, and contained 312 houses, the greater number of which though small, are neatly built. It is situated on the south side of the Blackwater, amidst the lofty mountains of Muskerry and derives its principal support from being a great thoroughfare. A small market is held every Thursday during the winter and fairs were held on March 1st and 12th and on 1st and 12th June, Sept. and Dec. for the sale of horse, pigs and cattle. An ale and porter brewery was established here in 1835, which produces 1,000 tierces annually and there are extensive flour-mills which have proved very advantageous to the farmers in encouraging the growth of wheat. There is a small courthouse, in which petty sessions are held on alternate Mondays, connected with a small bridewell. It is a constabulary police station and there are large barracks for six officers and 100 men where a detachment of infantry has been kept since the riots of 1822. "
A barracks for 100 men would be very large. Lewis says that the town had 1938 inhabitants in 1837.3 5
35Manuscript notes by P O'M: 118 very early settlements in Drisean,
Cuileann, total 177, BC 2000.
Black Death AD 1350 Drisean 156, Cuileann 40, total 196. In 1935 there were 905
houses in Drisean and Cuileann.