present one were there up to some years ago. About 1829 he lived opposite the present church until the new Presbytery was built, probably where Enrights and Driscolls now live.
In 1830 he started on a group of buildings comprising the Church, the Convent, the Presbytery,3 the Boys' School (where the present cinema stands), the Cemetery. All were functioning in 1840. The rent for all this land - part of which perhaps was a plot of 2 acres bequeathed by Mrs McCarthy nee Ellie O'Leary in 1811 as the site of a school - from McCarthy O'Leary was £5 per annum.4 The farm on which he built the Presbytery was his private property held under separate lease dated 1839 - yearly rent, £ 22-6-9.5
The Church was the first building to be erected. It had to be used from 1834 before it was finished as the roof of the old church had fallen in. It was completed and officially opened in 1838.6
3 The Presbytery built by Fr. Fitzpatrick was added to by Canon Griffin in 1893. The part facing the north-east was added. When the Drishane chaplain was added to the staff, Canon Casey (circa 1907) built the room over the present kitchen to accommodate him.
4 a) By her will in 1811 Helen McCarthy O'Leary bequeathed 2 acres for the building of a school. b) By deed between John McCarthy O'Leary and Fr. Fitzpatrick a site for church and cemetery - area in the Reading is la -0r -38P but later, in the deed, it is given as 3a -1r -24P and it is there stated that it is bordered(?) on the east by one acre on which a school is to be built. c) Presbytery + Farm: Deed 1839: 11a -1r -19P- It is hard to sort out these acreages now. Bequest also included £40 per annum to pay the teachers.
5 This is questionable. [Text of letter quoted]
"Millstreet June 27th. 1864 Fr. O'Dogherty is to receive all the revenue of the Parish and the chapel collections. He will pay Fr. Fitzpatrick £150 a year. Fr. Fitzpatrick communicates to him with the sanction of the Bishop his parochial and vicarial powers" Signed +David Moriarty. Copy of an old letter of Miss Linehan. By his will Fr. Fitzpatrick ordered the Presbytery to be sold to pay his debts and the residue to go for a CBS School. His successor bought everything for about £300. There was no residue. He, Canon Horgan, was, consequently, entitled to dispose of the Farm etc. which he did. See Inventory.
In "The Presentation Brothers" by Br. D. H. Allen, F.P.M. (pp. 111-117), there is an account of Brother Michael Augustine (Austine) Riordan who was born in the Parish of Doneraile, Co. Cork in 1783 or 1784. He became an architect and a builder and joined the North Monastery Community in 1814 (died 20 Jan. 1848). By 1819 he was again engaged in his old profession "designing and building churches, convents and schools in Cork, Kerry and Tipperary. ... Millstreet Parish Church seems to be the only church credited to him in the Diocese of Kerry." (ibid p. 112). In a "Personal File" of D. H. Allen, a list of the "churches built by Brother M.A. Rioran" is given. In the Diocese of Cork: St. Michael's, Blackrock (1819); St. Patrick's, Dunmanway (1834); St. Finbarr's, Bantry (1826); St. John the Baptist's, Kinsale (1834); St. John the Baptist's, Ovens (1834); Ursuline Convent Chapel, Blackrock (1824-1827); St. Joseph's, Castletown-Kenneth, Enniskeane and Desertsergas (c 1835); in the Diocese of Ross: St. Patrick's, Skibbereen (1826); St. Mary's, Rossmore, Kilmeen and Castleventry (1829-1830); Rosscarbery Parish Ch., Roscarbery (1820); in Cloyne Diocese: Doneraile Parish Church, doneraile (1826); in Kerry Diocese, Millstreet Parish Church, Millstreet (c. 1835). No specific description is given for Millstreet Church but as regards the "Distinctive Style" of Br. Riordan's work, the following account is given: "Like the work of any artist, Augustine Riordan's work has certain features which stamp these churches with his tradesmark. Here we will confine ourselves, mainly, to two aspects of his style: the church facade and what may be termed, the altar setting. The facade (i.e. the face or front of the building), usually surmounted by the belfry, has a large round topped Romanesque window as a centrepiece, with a statue niche on either side, the main entrance door has smaller niches for holy water stoups, between it and the smaller side doors. 6