The Church was cruciform and Romanesque. It was similar to many churches built in that period. It was simple in design and had galleries in the transepts as well as an organ gallery. Architecturally its most striking feature was in the stone pattern of the facade retained in the new Church. Reconstruction took place 1930-1932. The back wall behind the present High Altar is all that now remains of the old Church. The galleries were removed and the side-walls of the church were moved out to give a much wider church. The width of the present nave was the complete width before. It was also lengthened but the original facade was substantially restored. The altar is still in the same position but the McCarthy O'Leary "pews" (private chapel) were converted into the present mortuary chapel. Canon Griffin's remains had been buried almost right in front of the door of the old church and were removed to their present grave. The remains of Fr. Fitzpatrick were not removed. The transepts in the old church ended where you have the old windows now. The present sacristy was the first nuns' choir. The date on the bell is 1838. The font for Baptism - made by Holland of Meelin who worked the cut limestone in the old church - has been retained in the new church.
The contractor of the renovated church was Mr. Pat Flynn. Fr. Charles Brennan C.C. directed and supervised the work and collected the money for it. Canon O'Leary was then in senile decay. (It was) dedicated in 1933. Mr. John Cronin donated the High Altar, Men's Confraternity the Sacred Heart Altar, Canon Brosnan the Lady Altar. Canon Brosnan chose the three altars, installed electric heating and the pulpit and was responsible for the Terazzo floor. The Crowley family donated the Stations of the Cross (they were in the old church), Canon Brosnan the Clark window. The architect of the Church was O'Connor, a pupil of Hynes, architect of Cullen Church and many Gothic buildings in Cork and Kerry.
A Fr. Atridge was buried in the Millstreet Cemetery. His tomb abuts the south wall. His mother was McAuliffe and his people were fruit merchants in Patrick Street, Cork. He used to stay at Fr. Fitzpatrick's when a young boy. Any other connection with the parish? The Fr. Harding window was in the old church. Fr. Harding was born in the
A ledge runs across the facade from the roof eaves, and between this and the apex of the triangle, formed by the ledge and the roof, a round niche or sometimes an inscribed stone is to be seen. Another ledge, broken by the niches and the windows, runs parallel to the upper one but some distance below, and sometimes is continued along the side walls to the rear of the church. The facade is flanked by square pillars which form part of the wall, with the replica of a Grecian Urn on the top of each. The whole centre section, taking in the main and large window to the belfry is brought out in the relief.
Over the main altar there is a slightly convex baldachino or canopy, resting on four Grecian columns. This forms an attractive setting for the altar - creating a kind of inner sanctuary. An extension of this feature, but without the baldachino, extends along the back wall on both sides, supported by one or two pillars. On the wall behind and just above the tabernacle hangs a large oil painting of the Crucifixion, as in the South Chapel, Cork.
Most of Br. Augustine's churches still have the same altar-seting of baldachino and columns, with the extension; a few have retained the Crucifixion painting. On the other hand, the facades of their very nature have endured, and apart from the addition of a porch in one or two churches, retain their particular features. These features vary from church to church, but in spite of this, his churces are easily recognized, even from a distance." For some old pictures of Millstreet Church cf. Picture Millstreet (Sean Radley) pp. 19,163,175.