The History of Kirkham
Since 1066 when its church was already in existence, the ancient market town of Kirkham has witnessed a long pageant of history. Recognizing the strategic importance of the highest point in the Fylde the Roman army chose to build a fort in the last few years of the first century AD (see www.britishmuseum.co.uk). Kirkham developed into a thriving market town surrounded by the lush agricultural plain of the Fylde. At the heart of the town the Market Square with the ‘Fish stones’ and lamp – first lit in 1837
is at a crossroads surrounded by, with the
exception of a small ‘60s shopping development, a conservation area of Georgian and earlier buildings,containing business and private housing.
Kirkham Club Day Church procession circa 1910