New Frontiers in Preservation
The theme of Preservation Week 2004, “New Frontiers in Preservation,” calls on Americans from coast to coast to make a difference in the appearance and livability of our cities and towns, and to identify and tackle new challenges of protecting and preserving our diverse heritage.
Preservation Week 2004 is the time to celebrate Birmingham’s special places and those whose innovative ways help ensure that future generations will celebrate them too.
This year’s awards salute great efforts to save historic places and revive them with sensitivity to historic fabric and neighborhood.
Jemison Flats (1908, 1895, 1928)
1827 First Avenue North
This is Jemison Flats: three historic buildings now linked internally. The corner office building with its crowning cornice — developed by Robert Jemison Jr. as the Chamber of Commerce headquarters — opened in 1908. Beneath its stained glass dome, a 200-seat auditorium provided meeting space for business and civic groups. Next door was Mayberry Hardware, built c. 1895. This warehouse later served Mathews Electric and Golbro Distributors. To the far right is the National Birmingham Garage, built in 1928 as the city’s first high-rise parking deck with its continuous panels of metal-framed glass.
Photograph above by John O’Hagan.
Today, Jemison Flats offers 57 one-and two-bedroom loft apartments and 25,000 feet of commercial space. It is also home to Giattina Fischer Aycock Architects and a new park.
Ad Agency, 2004
Award for preserving and invigorating the spirit of the place
“Headquarters for the Upbuilding of Birmingham,” reads the sign above, 1908
Jemison Park, 2004
Owner/Client Corporate Realty Development: Robert Simon, Chris Giattina, Brian Giattina, Geoff Golden. Architect Giattina Fischer Aycock Architects Inc: Chris Giattina, Project Architect; Amanda Moore, Project Manager Contractor Golden & Associates Construction, LLC: Geoff Golden; Hugh Stewart, Project Superintendent; Brad Condray, Project Manager.
Current photos Giattina Fischer Aycock Architects Inc.; historic photos BPL Archives