X hits on this document





2 / 4


The Center for Regional Planning and Design

1731 First Avenue North

Close to rail lines and then active industries, St. Louis brewer Anheuser-Busch built its Alabama distribution center here in the 1880s. The great arched entrances along 17th Street led to the stable. From Birmingham’s Prohibition in 1910 until 2002, Young & Vann supplied mines and mills and hardwares from this location.

Award for respecting and reviving the historic distribution center

Developer Sloss Real Estate Group, Inc., Cathy Crenshaw Clients Birmingham Regional Planning Commission, Larry Watts; Auburn

University Center for Architecture and Urban Studies (AUCAUS), Cheryl Morgan; Region 2020, Ann Florie Architect Chris Engel, Workshop7 Contractor Stone Building Company Inc., Bill Stone, President; George Walker,

Vice President; Lance Duck, Project Superintendent; Tommy Prewitt, Project Manager. Photo courtesy Sloss Real Estate Group, Inc.

It took years to find the right building and the partners. Cheryl Morgan, Larry Watts, and Ann Florie are pictured in Auburn’s third floor studio, but Sloss Real Estate put together the deal and Auburn alum Bill Stone made it happen. The renovation highlights existing character (even notes on concrete beams and labels on racks!) and achieves simple, functional space. And, it looks like designers live here.

Photo courtesy The Birmingham News

Dewberry-Phenix Buildings (1881, 1884) Second Avenue North at 21st Street

Award for the rescue & rebirth of two of Birmingham’s oldest business houses

Godparents: John Lauriello, Julie Gieger, Southpace Properties. Owner: Ike Gulas, Jason Stuckey, The Gulas Law Firm Architect: Cohen & Company, Incorporated: Project Architect, Tammy

Cohen, Project Manager, Stan Corson Contractor: Bradford Bldg. Co. Inc., Kevin Lynerd, owner; Stewart

Robinson, Project Manager; Project Superintendent, Steve Arnold






The corner drug store had been there forever, and so had the Phenix Building, its 21st Street neighbor. But it took a star- studded cast to keep city inspectors at bay and the walls

standing through the recent rehab. Look on these brick walls with awe!

Historic photos courtesy Birmingham Public Library Archives

Adamson Ford

1922 Second Avenue South

Award for preserving and enhancing an entire city block

Owner/Developer Bill Israel, Adamson Ford Architect: Alberto Chiesa

Adamson Ford, Birmingham's oldest Ford dealership, began in 1917 to provide vehicles for coal mining. Its Southside operations now span 11 buildings and include a vehicle showroom opened last year in an historic theatre, pictured left, a service facility ("exhaustively renovated" during 2002), a 24,500 sq. feet walk-in and wholesale parts facility, a body shop and an accounting office above an historic blacksmith shop. John Israel bought the dealership in1956, encouraging son Bill to join him in 1982.

Document info
Document views6
Page views6
Page last viewedMon Oct 24 08:53:48 UTC 2016