X hits on this document

Word document

Deep 4-story, white brick building with dental roof cornice, in “Greek Revival” - page 3 / 9





3 / 9

gave the “lavish” ball in 1782 in the Easton Courthouse for General George Washington and his staff, which resulted in a social scandal after his daughter, Judith, married a Christian officer.23  By that time, however, Meyer Hart’s business fortunes were declining.24  He moved to Philadelphia in 1783.25  In that year, he assigned some of his real property in an attempt to satisfy creditors, and in 1785 liquidated other out-of-town properties.26  In 1787 he lost the two old Parsons property Lots in a Sheriff’s sale to Peter Shnyder, a tanner.27  Shortly thereafter, Shnyder purchased a release of the annual rental fee from the Penn Family.28  Peter Shnyder/Schnyder (1753 – 182329) is probably the same person who served as one of the three Trustees of the German Reformed congregation to receive John and Richard Penn’s gift of land, on which the German Union Church was built in 1775-76.30  He is reputed to have been Easton’s richest citizen in 1790, with a residence at the corner of Bushkill and Pomfret (later North 3rd) Streets.31  

Peter Schnyder died intestate in 1823, and his heirs divided up the two old Parsons property Lots into smaller pieces of property, and sold them off separately.32  In particular, two parcels were sold to Peter Miller, including a portion of Original Town Lot No.217 located at the corner of Northampton and Hamilton (now Fourth) Streets.33  Peter Miller was Easton’s “merchant prince”34 and one of the three “rich men of Easton”.35   He died in 1847, at age 81.36  His nephew, also named Peter Miller (of Ohio), inherited much of his real estate.  In 1849, nephew Peter Miller used 2/5 of this inheritance to pay his agent in Easton, named Samuel Wilhelm,37 and another part to settle the legal bills his two prominent Easton lawyers38 who prosecuted a lengthy (and ultimately successful) lawsuit to annul one of the will’s charitable bequests, resulting in a landmark decision of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.39  With the lawyers’ bills resolved, in late 1849 Miller and Samuel Wilhelm partitioned the remaining real estate to settle Wilhelm’s interests – this property being among those that Peter Miller himself kept.  At that time, it was occupied by “John Dehart and others”.40  Miller died shortly thereafter, in 1850.41    

Shortly before Peter Miller (of Ohio) died, his agent concluded a contract of sale for this corner property to Peter Pomp.  Unfortunately, the transaction had not closed before Miller’s death, and it took a private act of the Pennsylvania Assembly to authorize a completion of the transaction, which was concluded by a deed dated 1 April 1850.42   At this time, a “large New Four Story Brick Building” at this location was “erected expressly for a Drug Ware House”, and was taken over by the existing drug business of Peter Pomp, which moved from a few doors away.43  Pomp opened during December of 1850, with his “immense four story Building . . . jammed full of goods from garret to cellar”.44  The following June, a local newspaper enthusiastically described “Pomp’s Chemical Palace” by proclaiming that:

“Mr. Pomp’s new building in Northampton street has been raised to its full height, and overlooks all other building in the vicinity. – In architectureal beauty it is one of the most imposing buildings in the Borough, and is an ornament to the street in which it is located. – Mr. Lawall and Mr. Pomp in erecting their new buildings, have done more to improve Easton than many others who make larger claims on the public consideration.”45

The “Pure Drugs” store established by Peter and his son Charles Pomp at this location, at that time numbered 143 Northampton Street.46  Pomp’s Drug Store gave the building its

Document info
Document views47
Page views47
Page last viewedThu Oct 27 20:53:29 UTC 2016