X hits on this document

PDF document

: This FAQ should answer most of your questions. It is lengthy. Please read the entire document! - page 6 / 6





6 / 6

Theoretically, yes. Congress could reject the Commission’s permanent crack amendment with a majority vote against it in both houses anytime before November 1, 2011. Alternatively,

Congress could pass a law that bans the courts from applying the amendment. At this time, though, we do not expect Congress to take these actions.

Write a thank-you letter addressed to

Chairwoman Patti Saris U.S. Sentencing Commission One Columbus Circle, NE Suite 2-500, South Lobby Washington, DC 20002-8002

Begin your letter “Dear Chairwoman Saris and Commissioners.You can email it to pubaffairs@ussc.gov or send it in the mail.

FAMM has long been one of the leading organizations fighting for sentencing reform, including retroactive application of the FSA and the new crack amendment. In May and June, FAMM asked its supporters many of whom are federal prisoners or their loved ones to write letters to the Commission and ask it to make the crack amendment retroactive. FAMM supporters sent thousands of letters to the Commission and told their friends and families to do the same. The Commission received over 43,000 letters commenting on retroactivity. FAMM’s president, Julie Stewart, and a FAMM member who benefited from the retroactive 2007 crack minus two” amendment testified at the Commission’s hearing on June 1, 2011. They told the Commissioners that making the guideline amendment retroactive was the right thing to do. FAMM also submitted written testimony calling for retroactivity. FAMM continues to work with a coalition of experts, practitioners, and advocates to win relief for prisoners.

Yes. Keep checking on FAMM’s website (www.famm.org) for full updates on how the amendment is being applied retroactively and how FAMM is working to make the FSA retroactive. Also on our website, you can also sign up to receive email updates from FAMM.

FAMM cannot provide legal advice, representation, referrals, research, or guidance to those who need legal help. Nothing on this form is intended to be legal advice or should be relied on as legal advice. If you or your loved one feel that you need legal advice, you should speak with an attorney.



Document info
Document views22
Page views22
Page last viewedMon Jan 23 23:50:12 UTC 2017