Category "D" : 1500 "Supernumerary Constables", unpaid but au- thorized to carry weapons in an emergency (how- ever, no additional weapons were provided for them).
A particular security problem was presented by the fact that Jewish agri- cultural settlements were scattered all over the country. Workers in the fields had to be defended, the crops protected from ravage and the communication lines between the settlements maintained. To provide all this, the already mentioned Jewish Settlement Police (JSP) was established. Jewish corporals, commanding the basic units, selected from the rank and file of the Hagana, were trained in 1937 by sergeants of the British Army. There were a number of reorganisations until on January 1, 1939 the force assumed its final form. The whole country was divided into ten - later on twelve - company-areas. (More or less identical with the territorial division of the Hagana.) Every company was commanded by a British police inspector or sergeant, assisted by a Jewish company-sergeant- major, always appointed by Hagana. The companies were sub-divided into groups, headed by a Jewish group-sergeant. Large Jewish Settlement Police sta- tions were under the command of a Jewish sergeant and split up into sections under command of corporals, whereas smaller stations were under the command of a corporal. Moreover, greater combat power was added when 50 Lewis guns and 40 rifle-grenade-launchers were issued. The different categories of reservists were abolished and the overall reserve contingent was increased to 15000 (which in fact meant that the bulk of Hagana members received a legal status).
In order to provide a greater striking capacity, 62 Mobile Guards were formed. There were three stages in the development of the Mobile Guards. In the first stage they were patrolling on foot. Then the Jewish Agency provided pick- up trucks and also paid for their maintenance. Being now mounted on vehicles, more flexibility and manoeuvrebility was added to the Mobile Guards. However, very soon they became too much exposed to enemy fire and vulnerable to mines. Therefore home-made armoured cars were introduced. A few Mobile Guards, mainly in citrus grove areas, were mounted on horseback. Needless to say, the Hagana also provided weapons, not issued by the police, for instance hand gre- nades, which was silently tolerated on the local level by most British inspectors.
In March 1939, a "Jewish Settlement Defence Committee" was appointed, comprising representatives of the British Army, the Palestine Police Force and the Jewish Agency, for the purpose of coordinating all security matters of the Jewish rural settlements. In July 1939 all branches of the Jewish Auxiliary Po- lice Forces numbered 22000 constables with 7860 rifles. The main branches outside the Jewish Settlement Police were the Railway Guard, guarding the main railway lines between Palestine and Egypt, Airfield Guards, employed by the RAF, and the Port Guard in Haifa. During the construction of the Northern Bor-