The Parties support the Duty Officer Program as a means of assisting U.S. citizens with urgent passport problems which arise outside of the normal working hours of Passport Services.
1. Regional Union/Management Councils will be involved in drafting the duty officer schedule and rotation.
2. The Employer and the Union/Management Councils shall strive to see that the duty officer assignments are equitable and do not place an undue burden on any one individual. Consideration should be given to those with scheduled leave or other unusual circumstances.
3. Primary duty officers in the field offices shall be issued Department cell phones or Department pagers and calling cards to be used to pay for outgoing duty officer calls.
4. A minimum of two hours overtime pay will be authorized when an employee must go to the office during off-hours for duty officer cases. Overtime pay is authorized when an employee receives or makes duty officer calls at home. Compensation is authorized in accordance with 5 C.F.R 550.112(h) and other applicable criteria.
5. A minimum of two hours overtime pay will also be authorized for a second employee to accompany the duty officer when the duty officer would otherwise be required to be alone in the agency and had personal safety concerns. Overtime pay is also authorized when the second employee receives a phone call or calls from the primary duty officer.
6. Reimbursement for mileage or public transportation will be authorized for duty officers, in accordance with Departmental policies and procedures on local travel (6 FAM).
7. A duty officer may claim reimbursement for taxi fares when used between his/her home and the office when he/she is dependent on public transportation and his/her travel is during hours of infrequently scheduled public transportation or darkness (6 FAM 1933.1).