Under this Act, employees may use a total of up to 5 workdays of sick leave each leave year for family care or bereavement purposes. In addition, a covered employee who maintains a balance of at least 80 hours of sick leave will be able to use an additional 8 workdays of sick leave per year for these purposes. These 13 workdays are also included in the 12 administrative workweeks stated above.
For the purposes of this subsection, the definition of a family member includes the following relatives of the employee: spouse and parents of a spouse; children, including adopted children and their spouses; parents; brothers and sisters and their spouses; and any individual related by blood or affinity whose close association with the employee is the equivalent of a family relationship.
Requests for Family Friendly Leave must normally be requested and approved in advance with acceptable evidence in accordance with the Act.
b. The Parties further agree to comply with the provisions of the Family & Medical Leave Act (PL-103-03 – 5 U.S.C. 6382), which allows Employees to use up to 12 administrative workweeks of leave during any 12 month period for the following:
- because of the birth of a son or daughter of the employee and in order to care for such son or daughter;
- because of the placement of a son or daughter with the employee for adoption or foster care;
- in order to care for the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent with a serious health condition; and/or
- because of a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the functions of his/her position.
An employee must invoke entitlement to Family and Medical Leave, and in most cases, provide the Employer with his or her request and acceptable medical certification from the health care provider in accordance with the Act in advance of his/her intent to take the leave.
c. Employees who are pregnant will be allowed to work as long as they and their doctors feel is wise, prior to delivery. Sick leave requested by an employee will be allowed for physical examinations and periods of incapacitation which are supported by medical certification, i.e., by a physician or medically licensed midwife. After delivery and recuperation, the employee may desire a period of adjustment or need to make arrangements for the care of the child. These additional leave requirements may be taken care of by the use of available annual leave or leave without pay. The employee shall be returned to her position or a like position at the end of such leave, unless termination is otherwise required by expiration of appointment, by reduction‑in‑force, for cause, or for other reasons unrelated to the maternity absence. The father may request the use of annual leave or leave without pay in order to care for his newborn child, the child's mother or other minor children. The amount of time allowed shall depend upon the circumstances of the individual case, taking into account workload considerations and the desires of the employee. Additionally, up to 13 work days of sick leave may be granted to the father to care for the child’s mother, as described in Section 3(a) above.
d. Provisions for leave under this article or under applicable regulations will apply to employees who become adoptive parents.
4. : As provided by 5 U.S.C. 6323, permanent or temporary indefinite employees earn fifteen (15) days of military leave per fiscal year for active duty, inactive duty training, or engaging in field or coast defense training as a Reserve of the armed forces or member of the National Guard. On‑call or seasonal employees are considered permanent if they are hired under career or career conditional appointments. To the extent it is not used, military leave accumulates for use in the succeeding fiscal year until it totals fifteen (15) days at the beginning of a fiscal year. If an employee is called to active duty as a member of the National Guard or Reserves, he/she will be granted military leave, annual leave or LWOP as requested. Members of the National Guard or Reserves who are entitled to leave of absence from his/her duties will be granted such leave without adverse effect on his/her performance rating. Employees shall submit a completed leave slip: submission of a copy of orders is not required beforehand, though it is required upon return to duty. However, the employee should give as