X hits on this document

Word document






54 / 60

- 52-CL/175/11(a)-R.2

Geneva, 1st October 2004

1.11.Mr. Edwin Mushoriwa, MP for Dzivarasekwa

After being elected in June 2000, Mr. Mushoriwa celebrated his victory at a rally in his constituency.  While addressing his constituents, about 20 armed soldiers emerged from three presidential guard army vehicles and interrupted his speech.  Some of them proceeded to beat him with the butt-ends of their rifles and others destroyed all the windows and panelling of his car.  Police who were present at the meeting eventually intervened and took Mr. Mushoriwa to hospital.  No action was taken, despite an official complaint lodged by Mr. Mushoriwa.

Correct facts:

Without detail it has been difficult to establish whether a report was made.

Mr. Mushoriwa was arrested in October 2001, allegedly for causing public violence after ZANU-PF had stormed a hall before a MDC meeting.  He was released without charge.  He was again arrested on 11 March 2002, allegedly for campaigning within the 100 meter radius of the polling booths.  He said that he was put in a cell designed for seven people along with 40 others.  Prosecution was declined for want of evidence on 18 November 2002.  

Charge:C/S 118(1)(B) of The Electoral Act; Chapter 2:01, "Canvass for votes at a polling station"

Station and Ref.:Dzivarasekwa CR 315/03/02


On 11 March 2002, and at a polling station near Dzivarasekwa Primary School, Edwin Mushoriwa, the MP for Dzivarasekwa was seen talking to people who were voting canvassing for votes in favour of the MDC. He was arrested and charged.

Current position:

Prosecution was declined for want of evidence on 18 November 2002.

Mr. Mushoriwa also stated that on 1 June 2003, he escaped an assassination attempt when he was shot at while driving in his vehicle.  Three days later, the presidential guard shot at his car when he was driving to his constituency.  He was also beaten up by 15 CIO agents, which he reported to police.  The Avenue Clinic attested the injuries he sustained from the beating.  

Correct facts:

No records have been established in this case. Further details would assist.

1.12.Mr. Milton Gwetu, MP for Mpopoma

Mr. Gwetu said that his house was attacked and set on fire by ZANU-PF youth on the eve of the June 2000 parliamentary elections.  It had been stoned throughout the election campaign.  Moreover, a ZANU-PF supporter had hit him with a stone when he was leaving a grocery store, injuring him.  

Correct facts:

No records have been established in this case. Further details would assist.

On 2 June 2003, he was arrested, according to the police, for leading a group of MDC supporters who were organising mass stay-aways and marches to State House to unconstitutionally remove President Mugabe.  Mr. Gwetu says that, contrary to the police memorandum of 8 March 2004, he was not arrested near the MDC office in Bulawayo, but 6 km away.  He said, moreover, that the meeting referred to was a regular meeting which he had to attend as the MDC Vice-Chair of Bulawayo in charge of running daily MDC business.  He was released on bail and the charges were dropped, the prosecution having been unable to prove that he wanted to unseat the government.  However, according to the police memorandum, the case is still pending, as a trial date has yet to be set.  

Correct facts:

Charge:C/S 5(2)(A)(1) of The Public Order and Security Act, Chapter 11:17 “Subverting a Constitutional Government”

Document info
Document views215
Page views213
Page last viewedThu Jan 19 13:50:45 UTC 2017