of Missouri, he drove with his grandfather while making calls through the hill country and became interested in the healing arts.
At the age of fourteen, he bagan work in a drug store where he was employed for a period of twelve years while attending school and college. In his second college year his health failed and his physician's advice was to live in the country out-of-doors if he wished to regain his health. However, the second summer on the farm he broke down completely with internal hemorrhages.
Hopeless and despondent, he bagan living in a tent on the Cedar River in Iowa. While fishing one day, he met a doctor and was astonished to learn that the doctor was a chiropractor. He discussed his condition with the doctor, and in a diplomatic manner the chiropractor explained the new idea of treating the sick who had lost hope through medicine. It seemed absolutely ridiculous to him at the time, but finally through curiosity and being from Missouri, he had to be shown.
This was the turning point in Dr. Schwietert's life and in less than a year he was a chiropractic student and in 1913 was granted his diploma from the Wiegert School of Chiropractic, Waterloo, Iowa, and began practice in Marshalltown, Iowa, developing a large practice with an assistant and nurse within six months. He continued practice there for six years.
In 1916 he attended a post graduate course at the National College of Chiropractic, and each year thereafter received instruction at the various review courses. With the organiztion of the first National Board of Chiropractic Examiners, he was the first to take such an examination, and he passed with flying colors.
As Dr. Schwietert noted the great need of the chiropractic profession for organiztion, he became active in one of the three state associations in Iowa. In 1916 he was elected vice-president. He went to work in earnest and started a canvass of the personnel in the profession to obtain a cross section of the thought trend. He found it would be possible to organize one state association if school influences could be eliminated. Thus the new organizatin was formed and the following year he was elected secretary. He travelled through the state holding meetings and building interest in the new state association. The factions were finally brought together in 1917 with the incorporation of the Iowa Chiropractors' Association on the district plan and the president or past-president of each of the eleven districts comprised the board of directors.
In the autumn of 1918 he resigned as secretary of a strong state association that was successful in passing the first chiropractic law in Iowa. He then moved to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where he found new territory to conquer. He was named secretary of the South Dakota Chiropractic Association, and held this position consecutively for a period of approximately twenty years. He resigned this position to accept the presidentcy of the Chiropractic Research Foundation , and for the past eight months had been serving as the director of promotion of the Foundation. He was more active in raising funds for the CRF than any other member of the entire profession. The executive committee of the CRF will look long and ponder greatly a successor to this staunch never-tiring man who has given of his life to the profession he so dearly loved.
In 1929, Dr. Schwietert was successful in initiating and having passed in South Dakota the first compulsory membership chiropractic law which has been copied by twelve other states.
His interest in national association work was so great that in his thirty-four years of practice, he attended every convention with the exception of two; served as a member of the board of directors of the UCA and assisted in the amalgamation of the UCA and ACA, forming the NCA.
During the year he served as chairman of the board of directors of the NCA, he worked out the plan of organization forming the House of Counselors and presented the plan at the Pittsburgh convention in 1934, after going over the plan thoroughly at the Denver convention the previous year. He devised the idea of councepresenting different groups and activities of the profession, which have since gone forward and become the dominant factor in the chiropractic profession. He also organized the first spinographic society and served as its president for one year and as secretary of the Council of Roentgenologists.
In his home city he was very active in civic affairs. He was a
charter member of Lions three years ago served as delegate to two national
International Club, and more than twenty- deputy governor for two years, as well as
Toastmasters International Clubs, assisting Falls club and served in various capacities.
After returning home from a strenuous promotion trip for the Chiropractic Research Foundation in Minneapolis, he suffered severe hemorrhages and collapsed. He was rushed to the hospital where he ws given several transfusions and underwent an emergency operation, but to no avail. He passed away at the age of sixty-one about noon on Saturday, March 15, and the funeral was held in Sioux Falls on March 17th. Active pallbearers were officers of the South Dakota Chiropractic Association, and honorary pallbearers were Drs. Smith, W.H. McNichols, O.A. Ohlson, John J. Nugent, L.M. Rogers, and Mr. Ford L. Bailor.
The profession mourns the loss of a great chiropractor and extends deep sympathy to Volline, his excellent companion through the major part of his life and to his two lovely children, John Wesley and Jane.
1947 (Apr 24): Fred J. Carver, DC dies in Wichita, Kansas on his birthday
1947 (June): National Chiropractic Journal [17(6)] includes:
Harry K. McIlroy, D.C. authors “Pioneer passes on” (pp. 60-1): DR. FRED J. CARVER, claiming Wichita, Kansas, as his home was born near Gibson, Iowa, April 24th, 1882 the son of John Waterman Carver and Eliza Nutting Carver, died April 24, 1947. His mother became one of the first patients of Dr. D.D. Palmer. He had his first adjustment from his brother, Dr. Willard Carver, at about the age of 24 or son after the founding of Carver College of Chiropractic and after his medical physicians had given him only twelve hours to live. His early recovery accounted for his unusual interest in the profession to which he devoted his life. Dr. Carver entered the Carver-Denny, now the Carver Chiropractic College, in December, 1908, graduating in July, 1909 and later receiving an honorary degree of Master of Chiropractic in June
M.C. Degree was conferred by Nashville College of
Drugless Therapy in 1936, honorary degree Bachelor of Therapeutic Sciences conferred by the Western States College in 1935 and an award by the Standard Chiropractic College of California in 1938.
From the NCA he has the plaque for twenty five years the certificate of merit for scientific research in 1937.
of service and He was voted
membership July, 1939.
He attended classes in chiropractic schools for a period of five years and conducted instruction in clinic department of Carver College with charge of public clinic for five years. He also conducted the private instruction in his own office for two years and since then has taught P.G. courses except only in 1939 when he began a six months