Enlisting in August, 1917, in the Air Corps for service in World War I, Mr. Rinier was discharged in December, 1918, with the rank of first lieutenant.
In February, 1919, Mr. Rinier was named assistant United States District Attorney in Indianapolis. The following year he became a law partner of L. Ert Slack, and in 1934 he became the senior member of the firm of Rinier, Given and Anderson, which later was known successively as Rinier & Given and Rinier, Smith, & Wickliff.
Later Mr. Rinier engaged independently in the practice of law,
with offices in the Fletcher Trust Indiana Chiropractors’ Association
Building. from 1922
counsel for the International Chiropractors Association.
Mr. Rinier was a member of the American and Indianapolis Bar Associations, Sigma Delta Kappa and Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternities, the American Legion, the Loyal Order of Moose, the Indiana University Club, the Military Order of Foreign Wars, and the Methodist Church.
At one time, Mr. Rinier served as judge pro tem. in Municipal Court in the absence of the late Judge Charles J. Karabell, and was a
candidate on the Republican ticket for representative in the General Assembly. – Indianapolis News, October 14, 1950.
“Dr. M.J. Hannum Passes Away” (p. 60):
Dr. M.J. Hannum, of Gillette, Wyoming, died suddenly on October 5, 1950. His passing resulted from a heart condition.
Dr. M.J. Hannum was born at Cassville, Wisconsin, and resided there until graduation from high school. At that time he moved with his mother to Rockford, Illinois, where he worked in a jewelry store and attended a chiropractic college. Following his graduation there, Dr. Hannum took post graduate work at the National College of Chiropractic in Chicago.
In 1917 he came to Gillette where he first set up his office as a chiropractor.
On May 22, 1923, Miss Mable Loftin was united n marriage to Dr. Hannum and to this union were born two sons.
Dr. Hannum was among the initial members of the state board of chiropractic examiners, on which board he served for twenty years. He was also a fellow of the International College of Chiropractors.
In addition to serving his own profession, Dr. Hannum was a public-minded citizen ever interested in the affairs of the community in which he lived. He was a past president of the Gillette Lions Club, member of the grade school board, chairman of the Federated Charities of Campbell County in the 1930’s, former chairman of the Campbell County chapter of the American Red Cross, and a Mason.
Survivors of Dr. Hannum include his wife, two sons, Marshal, Jr. and Thomas, a brother, Charles, of Boise, Idaho, and a sister, Mrs. Jeanette Harwood, of Pasadena, California.
1950 (Nov): The Record [2(11)] (“Monthly publication of Carver Chiropractic College” at 521 N.W. 9th Street, Oklahoma City OK) includes:
“In memoriam” (p. 20):
We have received information from Dr. Hugh Campbell, 217.5 South Main Street, Ottawa, Kansas, that Dr. Theodasia Neavles, Paola, Kansas, passed away on September 30, 1950 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, after an illness of about three weeks. An Eastern Star ceremony was held for her on October 4th at Paola.
Dr. Neavles was eight-one years old; she graduated from Carver in June, 1918. She had practiced in Colorado and Oklahoma prior to going to Paola in1921. She was an active member of both the District and State Chiropractic Organizations.
Dr. Campbell informs us that Dr. Neavles has made provisions for giving the College two good Carver tables and seven or eight nice
endeavor to use them in the manner
appreciate these gifts and shall in which Dr. Neavles intended.
We also wish to thank Dr. Campbell for his kindness in furnishing us the above information.
1950 (Dec): JNCA [20(12)] includes:
“Dr. Carl B. Watson passes” (p. 26):
Dr. Carl B. Watson passed away suddenly October 17 from a heart ailment of many years at his home in Indianapolis, Indiana. He was born in Shelbyville but lived in Indianapolis for thirty-eight years. He was fifty-seven years of age.
Dr Watson is well Chiropractic College.
known by many graduates of He acted as the night clinic
approximately five years and was also on the faculty as
the Lincoln director for an instructor
in chemistry and sincere counsellor Lincoln College.
dissection from 1936 through 1941. He was a to many students while they were attending the
Dr. Watson had many interests in life. He was a musician and played in the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra during its early years. For several years he was a radio announcer for the station then owned by his brother Noble Watson, of Indianapolis. Dr. Watson was a registered pharmacist for some thirty years. He also owned the H.E. Zimmer Company as a diagnostic instrument dealer and, through this connection, supplied many Lincoln students and graduates with diagnostic instruments.
He was a member of the Irvington Lodge F. and A.M. Murat Shrine of Indianapolis, and the Past Masters Club of Frankfort, Indiana.
He is survived by his wife and four daughters. His burial was in the Washington Park Cemetery, Indianapolis.
1951 (Jan): The Record [3(1)] (“Montly publication of Carver Chiropractic College”) includes:
“In Memoriam” (p. 21):
Dr. Lucille Smith, Oklahoma City, has just handed us the following information concerning one of our chiropractic friends:
Dr. Thomas T. Lake, Director of Instruction of The National Endo-Nasal, Aural and Allied Technique Society of Philadelphia, passed away December 2, 1950, at 10:00 P.M. Survivors are his wife at the home address, 281 Lindon Lane, Marion, Pennsylvania, and his daughter Elanora Hancock, 327 Calvert Road, Marion, Pennsylvania. Dr. Lake’s funeral was December 6th. He was well-known lecturer and former Professor of Anatomy and Physiology at the Keystone College of Chiropractic.
We are indeed sorry to learn of Dr. Lake’s death, and offer our
sincere condolences to his family. chiropractic teacher and writer.
We shall miss this great
1951 (Jan): JNCA (21) includes:
“Dr. Charles J. Shellhorn passes” (p. 37):
Funeral services for Dr. Charles J. Shellhorn, sixty-five, District chiropractor, will be held in Mount Carmel, Ill. tomorrow, with burial there.
Dr. Shellhorn, who practiced here longer than thirty years, died Wednesday of a heart attack in his office in the Caryle Apartments, 1401 Columbia Road. He had maintained a home and office there for three years. He formerly maintained offices at 710 Fourteenth Street, N.W.