Born in Mount Carmel, he lived in that vicinity during his youth. He was a member of the Illinois State Society here.
He leaves a sister, Mrs. Carrie M. Brown, of Indianapolis, and three brothers, Boyd S. Shellhorn, of Red Bank, N.J.; J.A. Shellhorn, of St. Petersburg, Fla.; and Van Darrell Tilton, of Long Beach, Calif. – From the Evening Star, Washington, D.C., Nov. 11, 1950.
1951 (Feb): JNCA (21) includes:
“News flashes: Indiana” (p. 50): DR. HEAVRIN PASSES AWAY Dr. Marion L. Heavrin, 55, 1451 Central Ave., Indianapolis chiropractor, died on Sunday, January 7, in his car at 16th St. and Central Avenue. Dr. Heavrin was returning from the Methodist Hospital with Asma Carter, 74, when he complained of feeling ill. Born at Owensboro, Ky., Dr. Heavrin was a graduate of the high school there and the Lincoln Chiropractic College here. A resident of Indianapolis eighteen years, he has been a chiropractor sixteen years, having offices in the Kresge Building. He was president of the United Chiropractors Association of Indiana and also a member of the Board of the Federation of Chiropractors. During World War 1, Dr. Heavrin served in the medical administrative corps.
Funeral services were held Shirley Brothers Irving Hill Cemetery, Owesboro, Ky.
at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 10, in
Survivors are a daughter, Miss Mary Ruth Heavrin, Owesboro, and a brother, Earl M. Heavrin, Grand Prairie, Texas, and a nephew, of Owensboro, Ky. – Submitted by Dr. Gladys Diekfuss.
1951 (Mar): JNCA [21(3)] includes:
“Dr. Benjamin Reed dies” (p. 23):
Low mass for Dr. Benjamin W. Reed, 53, Washington chiropractor and physiotherapist, was said at January 30 at St. Michael’s Catholic
Church in Silver Spring. Cemetery.
Burial was held in George Washington
Dr. Reed, who had been suffering from a heart ailment for the past two years, died Saturday at his home at 808 Thayer Ave., Silver Spring.
Born in Washington, Dr. Reed studied at schools in Chicago, St. Louis, and New Jersey and held a doctor of chiropractic degree. After completing his education, he opened his practice in Washington in 1924. His officers were at 1621 Connecticut Ave.
A member of the Society of Chiropractors here, Dr. Reed took an active part in the struggle to raise the standards and gain general recognition for his profession.
He leaves his wife, Mrs. Vivien W. Reed; a daughter, Mrs. Thelma Briscoe, 701 Kennebec Ave., Takoma Park, Md.; his father, Charles
Reed, Wheaton, Md.; two sisters, Mrs. Evelyn Quinn, of Washington, and Mrs. Julia Harrison, of Arlington.
“Dr. Fredrick J. Root passes on” (p. 30): Funeral services for Dr. Fredrick J. Root, one of Cleveland’s oldest practicing chiropractors, were held January 19, 1951, at 2:30
m. at the North Presbyterian Church, E. 40th St. and Superior Ave. Dr. Root, 63, died January 17 at Woman’s Hospital after a brief illness. He was a graduate of Palmer-Gregory Chiropractic College, and also studied at Ross, Riley, and Carver Chiropractic Colleges, and Baldwin-Wallace.
Dr. Root practiced his profession forty-one years in Cleveland, and was a former president of the National Federation of Chiropractors and the Inventors’ Club of Cleveland.
He was born in Thompson, and was a member of the Emmanuel Masonic Lodge. Dr. Root had been active in Boy Scout work, and also served as a YMCA secretary in Findlay.
Masonic services were held January 18 at 7:30 p.m. at the Young- Koebler Funeral Home, 1966 E. 82d St. Dr. Root is survived by his wife, Helen; two daughters, Mrs. Paul A. Decker and Mrs. Earl Clemens, Bolivar, Ohio, and a son, Fredrick M.
Dr. Root had been associated with the Metropolitan Clinic, 3400 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, Ohio. After Dr. Root’s passing, a check in the amount of $20 was donated to the Student Loan Fund of the NCA by the Metropolitan Clinic in memory of Dr. Root.
1951 (Apr): JNCA [21(4)] includes:
L.M. Rogers’ editorial notes death of Homer G. Beatty, D.C.,
D. (p. 6):
We regret to inform the profession of the passing of one of its most respected pioneer educators – Dr. Homer G. Beatty, of Denver, Colorado.
Dr. Beatty, president of the University of Natural Healing Arts, passed away suddenly in Denver on March 4, 1951.
We have received no details at this writing, but are shocked to learn of the death of this great and good man who lived and breathed chiropractic for so many years. Dr. Beatty had thousands of friends throughout the profession who will mourn his passing.
We extend our deepest sympathy and understanding to the bereaved family. May the knowledge that he contributed so materially to the development of the chiropractic profession during its formative years assuage the grief of those who are left to mourn his passing.
The profession has lost another stalwart – a tall, sun-crowned man whose vision helped to lift the clouds of despair from many a heart and establish a courageous will-to-win in many students through the years.
“News flashes: New Jersey” (p. 46); includes: DR. LANDRY PASSES AWAY On February 26, 1951, Dr. Marjorie C. Landry, 777 High St., Newark, New Jersey, passed away. She was graduated from the Palmer School of Chiropractic and was licensed to practice in New Jersey.
She was a member of her state chiropractic society and a supporter of all things beneficial to her profession. Dr. Landry was very active in the work of the profession until within a year of her passing. Her death marks a distinct loss to chiropractic.
“News flashes: Ohio” (pp. 48, 50): DR. JOHNSON PASSES AWAY Dr. Albert S. Johnson, a chiropractor in Struthers, Ohio, since 1913, died of a heart attack at 11:30 a.m. March 1 at his residence. Dr. Johnson came to Struthers in 1913, the year he graduated from Palmer Chiropractic College, Davenport, Iowa. He was a member of the National Chiropractic Association, past president of the Ohio Chiropractic Association, a member of Struthers I.O.O.F. Lodge, No. 933, Junior Order of United American mechanics, No. 409, and a charter member of Wisteria Rebekah Lodge, No. 817. He attended Struthers Baptist Tabernacle Church. Born Sept. 22, 1880, at Hyland, Ky., he was a son of George M. and Nettie Rickels Johnson. Besides his wife, the former Eva L. Johnson whom he married 17 years ago, Dr. Johnson leaves a son, William T., of Poland; two daughters, Mrs. Ernest Conant, of Athens and Miss Sadie Ruth Johnson, a missionary stationed at Siquatepeque, Honduras, Central