His practice took him to Lake City, Ia.; Elkins, W.Va., and Traverse City and Manistique, Mich.
However when his father decided to set out for California to practice and teach, young B.J. had to rush back to Davenport to keep the Palmer School going.
B.J. faced a herculean task. He found the Palmer Infirmary and Chiropractic Institute facing bankruptcy, with more than $8,000 in debt, a very sizable sum in those days. But B.J. showed the first signs of that inexhaustible energy and resourcefulness which were to help him get the needed funds and to go on to build the new school, the Palmer School of Chiropractic, known throughout the profession as “The Fountain Head School of Chiropractic.”
In 1904, B.J. and his wife began what has become the large Palmer School campus by the purchase of a boarding house at 828 Brady Street. From time to time other properties were added and it now extends from Eighth to Eleventh Streets on Brady without an intersecting street. Other close-by properties also have been added.
B.J. was always proud that he got his primary education in the “school of hard knocks,” and equally proud that a passion for reading everything he could get his hands on, plus later world travels, gave him a far wider understanding of this world and its events than possessed by many with college degrees.
B.J. devoted his entire life to the development of Chiropractic, building PSC into the remarkable institution which has graduated a major portion of the chiropractors in the field today. He is given much of the credit for winning the fight which raised the science of Chiropractic from being regarded as an outlaw in most communities to the status where it is legally recognized in most states of the United States and in many foreign countries.
He was a man of many interests beyond his profession. He pioneered in radio broadcasting, having founded radio station WOC in 1910, the second oldest station in the United States. When television
came along, he pioneered business interests going office suites.
that, too. At his peak he had 23 once, administered from three
B.J.’s friends came from many professions. He had a collection of 10,000 autographed photographs, including such personages as Bing Crosby, Hildegarde, Bob Hope, Bob Burns, Eddie Cantor, Edgar Bergen and Ginny Simms. From around the world, on his numerous trips, he collected religious articles and rare art objects which made his home and special museum buildings attractions that have been viewed y millions of visitors.
B.J. authored many monographs, treatises and books and edited several publications. He was in great demand as a public speaker and his radio travel talks had a wide following.
The beautiful Clinic Gardens which he developed, with ish and lily ponds contained many fine pieces of Oriental sculpture as well as natural beauty. He was a deep-sea fisherman of reputation, a gold- certificate member in the Stuart (Fla.) Sail Fish Club. He was active in the Davenport Chamber of Commerce, the Davenport Ad Club, the Kiwanis Club, the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club and the Davenport Country Club.
Fraternally, he was affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, being a member of Knights Templar, the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, and the Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
B.J. has left the Palmer School in very capable hands. He and his wife, Mabel Heath Palmer, who got her license to practice Chiropractic in Iowa the same year B.J. got his – 1921 – have one son, Daniel David Palmer II, born in 1906. “D.D.” took over running PSC
after a very extensive education that included a B.S. in economics at
the University of
Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of
He married Agnes High, of Lancaster, Pa., a graduate
of the Palmer School.
1961 (July 10): photocopy of obituary in the Globe-Democrat of St. Louis (Logan Archives): Memorial Obituary Dr. V.F. Logan, Chiropractic Leader, Dies Dr. Vinton F. Logan, 56, president of Logan Basic College of Chiropractic, 7701 Florissant Road, Normandy Village, died Sunday morning at DePaul Hospital of a brain hemorrhage. He lived at 1865 Aqueduct dr., Florissant. A native of Peoria, Ill., he received his chiropractic training at the Universal Chiropractic College in Pittsburgh. He came to St. Louis in 1935 when his father, Dr. H.B. Logan, founded Logan College. Dr. Vinton Logan became president of the college in 1944 when his father died. He was a member of the board of control of the International Chiropractors Association, secretary-treasurer of the International Chiropractic Research Institute, and a member of the American
College of Chiropractors Chiropractors.
Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Helen Jeanine Logan; two sons, Bryan P. and Craig S. Logan, both of St. Louis; and a brother and sister, Hal Logan and Mrs. Margaret Hall, both of Los Angeles.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Logan College. Cremation will follow.
The body is at Cullen & Kelly Funeral Home, 7267 Natural Bridge rd., Normandy Village.
1961 (July/Aug): Digest of Chiropractic Economics [4(1)] includes:
“In memoriam” (p. 39):
The profession of Chiropractic suffered a great loss July 9 with the death of Dr. Vinton Logan, president of Logan Basic College of Chiropractic at St. Louis, Mo.
Dr. Logan, who was 55, had long been recognized as an outstanding leader in the profession. He had served as president of Logan College since the death of his father, Dr. H.B. Logan, the school’s founder, in 1944.
He was a member of the Board of Governors of the International Chiropractors Association. He was also secretary-treasurer of the International Chiropractic Research Institute.
A native of Peoria, Ill., he received his Chiropractic training at the Universal Chiropractic College in Pittsburgh and moved to St. Louis in 1935, when his father established the school.
Funeral services for Dr. Logan were held July 12. Chiropractic Economics joins his thousands of friends, associates and former
survivors include his wife, Mrs. Helen Jeannine Logan; sons, and Craig S. Logan, both of St. Louis; a brother and a sister.
The affairs of Logan College are to be administered by Dr. William N. Coggins, who was named president. Dr. Coggins had been on the college staff for 14 years and had been serving as Dean of the College.
1961 (Nov/Dec); The Columbian News [37(3)], “Edited by Jay Okin – A student publication of the COLUMBIA INSTITUTE OF CHIROPRACTIC, published monthly”; associate editor is Stephen Dia; includes: