Dr. Thompson was born May 17, 1914 on a farm in Innisfail, Alberta. From his humble beginnings as a rural school teacher, he dedicated himself to the service of God.
He graduated from the Palmer School of Chiropractic in 1939, and
married one chiropractic
of his instructors, Dr. practice in Alberta.
Thompson joined the Royal Canadian Air instructor, rising to the rank of colonel.
He went into broke out, Dr. became a flight
In 1943, with the freeing of Ethiopia from the fascist occupation, the allied high command appointed Dr. Thompson to head a delegation to Ethiopia to help rebuild that war torn country. At the same time, the Thompsons had applied to the Sudan interior mission to go to Ethiopia as missionaries. Drs. Bob and Hazel Thompson and their two young daughters arrived in Ethiopia, and Dr. Thompson began his service to Emperor Haille Selassie.
Dr. Thompson commanded the Imperial Ethiopian Air Force, and
trained its first pilots.
After the war, he continued on with the
government as deputy minister of education, helping to establish the
Ethiopian educational system. affairs to Haille Selassie, with
He also served as an advisor in foreign special assignments to India, the Sudan,
Nigeria, Canada, and the U.S.
He was instrumental in helping
establish the Organization of African States. As a confidant to the emperor, he was awarded the star of Ethiopia, and the rank of grand officer.
In 1948, he went into full-time mission work with the Sudan Interior Mission, and in 1951, was assigned as director of the Southern Leprosarium in Sheshemane, Ethiopia.
In 1953, Dr. Thompson returned to the U.S. He was asked to speak at the Palmer homecoming (known as the lyceum at the time). He challenged the profession to provide him with some chiropractic equipment to do basic research on the effects of chiropractic on leprosy. The Christian students at Palmer took up the challenge and raised enough money to buy two truck loads of equipment to send to Ethiopia. This effort was the start of what became known as the Christian Chiropractors Association (CCA).
Two of Dr. Thompson’s Ethiopian assistants, Mulatu Baffa, and Beyenne Mulatu, came to the U.S. under the sponsorship of the CCA to study chiropractic, and returned to Ethiopia in 1960 as Africa’s first chiropractors.
Because of the ill health of a number of the Thompson children, five of whom were born in Ethiopia, the Thompsons returned to Canada in 1958. Dr. Thompson gravitated toward politics, and in the early ‘60s was a member of the Canadian Parliament, where he was a third-party leader that controlled the balance of power in that house.
In the late ‘60s, Dr. Thompson was elected president of the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College.
In 1972, the Thompson family moved to Fort Langely, British Columbia, and Dr. Bob began teaching at Trinity Western University. He was frequently called upon by his own government and by the United Nations to serve as mediator in foreign wars, counselor to foreign governments, and delegation leader in such countries as Nigeria, Zaire, China, and Vietnam. In those years, he made dozens of trips overseas to help bring peace and harmony to many troubled peoples.
His wife of 53 years, Dr. Hazel Thompson, died in 1992. He later married a former missionary co-worker widow, Evelyn May Brandt, who survives him, along with seven of his eight children.
Dr. Thompson will be missed by thousands of friends in his home country of Canada, in the U.S., in Ethiopia, and around the world.
His funeral was held Sat. Nov. 22 at Trinity University, with Dr. Franklin Graham presiding.
A memorial fund has been established through the CCA for Dr. Thompson to be used toward paying the mortgage for the new CCA building.
1998 (Jan/Feb): Activator Update [13(1)] includes:
“A Moment of Silence…” (p. 14): Dr. James W. Parker Passed Away November 13, 1997 Dr. Jim will always be remembered as a mentor and true warrior for chiropractic. He will be missed…
1998 (Mar): Chiropractic Journal of Australia [28(1)] includes:
“In memoriam: George Emmet Anderson” (p. 23): George Emmet Anderson, DC, co-founder and first president of Pacific States Chiropractic College, which later became Life Chiropractic College West, died on Tuesday, 13 January 1998 at his home in the Santa Cruz mountains. He was 81. Dr. Anderson was introduced to chiropractic as a young boy growing up on the family’s farm in Wallingford, Iowa. He received all of his health care from the town chiropractor. While growing up, his chiropractor was always encouraging him to attend chiropractic college, but it wasn’t until after serving four years in the Coast Guard during World War II, and then later running his family’s electric fence post company, that he started his chiropractic education. It was not until he was in his thirties that Anderson began attending Palmer School of Chiropractic in 1950. While at Palmer, he married Elvera Duus. After graduation, the Anderson smoved to the San Francisco Bay Area, where he continued his chiropractic education at the California College of Chiropractic in Oakland. He was licensed to practice as a doctor of chiropractic in 1955, and shortly thereafter opened his practice in downtown Hayward. In 1976, Dr. Anderson, along with George Wentland, DC, founded Pacific States Chiropractic College in San Lorenzo, California. The first freshman class was matriculated in march 1978. In 1980, Pacific States was moved to a larger facility, and Dr. Anderson opened the college’s first public clinic, on “B” Street in Hayward. After Dr Anderson’s agreement with Life Chiropractic College in Marietta, Georgia and his appointment of Dr Gerard Clum as the college’s new president, Pacific States became Life Chiropractic College West in
Throughout his career, Dr. Anderson was active in numerous chiropractic organisations, including the International Chiropractors Association, the Internationa Chiropractors Association of Jcalifornia, and the World Chiropractic Congress, which he established in 1969. He also held many offices in with the local Kiwanis Club and organised the Alameda County Chiropractic Information Bureau. He retired in 1985.
Dr Anderson is survived by his wife Elvera; his three children Barry, Sheryl, and Vicki; and five grandchildren.
1998 (May/June): Journal of the Kansas Association [35(3)] includes:
cover photograph of “Rex Wright, DC, FICC, July 2, 1926 – May