how the e-center will utilize the data center. Consider implementing a Web and Network operations areas to monitor infrastructure availability, performance, and security.
4. WAN – Consider investing in high bandwidth dedicated lines to support network traffic (data, voice) between sites. A network impact and capacity assessment is recommended.
5. Telephony – Standardization – excellent recommendation should be a trivial exercise to develop a cost benefit.
Video Services – excellent recommendation.
Storage Network – another excellent recommendation. If you are not already doing
so, I strongly recommend using NAS devices on a gigabit backbone network as opposed to using a SAN for file servers and backup. At least perform a comparative analysis. I have extensive experience with performance testing NAS and SAN equipment.
8. Business continuity plan – excellent and important need. Consider using external sites to archive backups. The ITIL Continuity Management function provides a set of best practices that should be reviewed.
9. Power – Excellent recommendation - UPS is extremely important in order to maintain availability objectives.
10. Wireless and Wired network - Yes on the wireless – should be expanded. Consider upgrading the wired network to GB Ethernet – for high bandwidth applications.
11. Document Imaging – or Document management system – yes highly recommended. Consider using an open source facility.
12. PC, Server, and Network Upgrades – Excellent recommendation, but I suggest that an impact assessment, capacity plan, and cost benefit analysis be documented to support the upgrades.
END OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY COMMENTS