X hits on this document





7 / 11


G E T T I N G S E T T L E D T o f i n d h o u s i n g , s t u d e n t s c a n a c c e s s A r t C e n t e r s o f f - c a m p u s h o u s i n g w e b s i t e . T h i s s e c u r e s i t e l i s t s a p a r t m e n t s , h o u s e s , r o o m s f o r r e n t a n d s t u d i o s a v a i l a b l e i n t h e P a s a d e n a a r e a . S t u d e n t s c a n a l s o f i n d r o o m m a t e s u s i n g t h i s s i t e . A c c e p t e d s t u d e n t s receive a password to the site in their acceptance packet. More complete housing information will be sent upon admission.

Other online resources include craigslist.org, places4students.com and westsiderentals.com.

For assistance with your housing research, contact the Center for the Student Experience at 626.396.2323 or housing@artcenter.edu.



Visit the DMV website at dmv.ca.gov to locate the DMV office nearest you. Study the California Driver Handbook to pre- pare for the written and driving tests. The handbook is available online at dmv. ca.gov or at any DMV office. We recom- mend you call 800.777.0133 to schedule an appointment with a local DMV office to avoid having to wait in line.

California Driver License If you are a visitor to California 18 years of age or older, and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you can drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

Pasadena DMV Office 49 S. Rosemead Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91107 800.777.0133 dmv.ca.gov


If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

If you purchase a vehicle from a dealer- ship, they will normally handle registra- tion for you. If you purchase a vehicle from a private party, be aware that you are responsible for transferring the vehicle registration with the DMV within 10 days of purchase.



The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires acceptable birth date and legal presence documents, a Social Secu- rity number and proof that you are in the United States legally. International students are not required to have a social security number.

If you own a vehicle registered in another state or country, you must register the vehicle at the DMV in California within 20 days of estab- lishing residency here.


Vehicles driven on California roads are required by law (California Vehicle Code CVC 6088) to carry a minimum of liability auto insurance that proves financial responsibility for any damage or injury caused by a traffic accident, regardless of fault. You must carry

proof of liability insurance at all times when driving. If you do not have acceptable proof of liability and have an accident, you may lose your driver license for up to four years. Bring documents (translated into English,if necessary) confirming your previous good driving record from your home state or country. Insurance companies will review your previous records to deter- mine insurance rates.


Art Center does not recommend or endorse any specific insurance company, but the following companies are often used by students.

AAA Automobile Club of Southern California 801 E. Union St. Pasadena, CA 91101 626.795.0601 aaa-calif.com

Allstate 261 E. Colorado Blvd., Suite 218 Pasadena, CA 91101 626.793.2101 allstate.com

Farmers Insurance 4 E. Holly St., Suite 209 Pasadena, CA 91103 626.793.4988 farmers.com

State Farm Insurance 739 E. Walnut St., Suite 103 Pasadena, CA 91101 626.449.8096 statefarm.com


AAA Automobile Club of Southern California 626.795.0601 877.426.2277 aaa-calif.com


Pasadena AAA offers a special group rate to Art Center. Identify yourself as an Art Center student.


This program is a free service of privately owned tow trucks that patrol designated routes on congested urban California freeways. FSP operates during peak hours, and all day in predetermined freeway construction zones. FSP can be reached by using the call boxes on the highway.

For more information, visit chp.ca.gov/programs/fsp.html.

Many insurance companies offer road- side assistance services. Check with your insurance agent.

BANKING S E R V I C E S D o c u m e n t s n e e d e d t o o p e n a b a n k i n g a c c o u n t a r e a c u r r e n t d r i v e r l i c e n s e a n d / o r m a j o r c r e d i t c a r d . I n t e r n a t i o n a l students must present a valid passport.

Ask your home bank if they have a sister branch or related bank in Los Angeles. Art Center does not endorse specific banks, but below are a few local banking options.


Bank of America 399 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91101 818.507.6700 bankofamerica.com

Chase Bank 860 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91101 626.795.5177 chase.com

Document info
Document views35
Page views35
Page last viewedMon Jan 16 17:46:23 UTC 2017