In July 1847, another unknown ship from Port Adelaide sailed to Port Pirie, bringing Chinese settlers. Also, it is said that by November 1847, the first bales of wool were shipped from Port Pirie to Port Adelaide, but no name of the vessel or vessels is recorded.
In 1854, schooners Daphne and Bandicoot shipped the first wool from Port Augusta to Port Adelaide. The Daphne was built in Bombay, India in 1849. She was registered in Port Adelaide in 1850 and sold to Melbourne 18 years later. The Bandicoot was constructed in Hobart in 1838 and registered in Port Adelaide in 1852. The ship was eventually wrecked at Port MacDonnell in 1861.
In 1857, steam ship Marion started operating from Port Adelaide to Franklin Harbour and Port Augusta. SS Marion was built in Glasgow in 1854. She was wrecked at the bottom of Yorke Peninsula in 1862.
In 1858, vessels Agenora, Waitemata, Moselle and Omeo transported goods to and from Port Pirie. The schooner Agenora was built in Port Adelaide in 1855 and wrecked at Willunga in 1863. The schooner Waitemata was constructed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1852. She was registered in Port Adelaide in 1856 and wrecked at St. Francis Island in 1860. No information has been found on Moselle. The schooner Omeo was built in Melbourne in 1854 and registered in Port Adelaide in 1855. The ship went missing in the Spencer Gulf. Some portions of a schooner believed to be from Omeo were discovered near Corny Point in 1866. The ship was deregistered the same year.
In 1859 the first ships arrived in Port Augusta to load cargo destined directly for England. No details of the vessels have been confirmed as yet.
Since 1861, another steam ship Lubra joined SS Marion in regular service to Spencer Gulf, on routes to Wallaroo and Port Augusta. SS Lubra was built in Scotland in 1860 and arrived in Port Adelaide in 1861. She was wrecked in Jurien Bay, WA in 1898.
In 1861, clipper County of Meredith of Blackball Line (England/Australia) anchored at Port Germain.
In 1862, SS Lubra sailed to Port Augusta every Saturday. In the same year, the Scottish ship Ormelie landed the first direct cargo from England to Port Augusta. Ormelie first visited South Australia in 1854, bringing migrants to Port Adelaide.
In 1862, Alfred Charles Webling of the Marine Survey Department of South Australia on board of HMS Beatrice, re surveyed the coast north of Point Lowly to Port Augusta and prepared a detailed official report. In his Nautical Description of Port Augusta 1862, he provided an excellent account of the early days of shipping in Spencer Gulf: “It has been custom hitherto for vessels bound for Port Augusta to proceed first to Port Adelaide and there pick up a pilot for Spencer Gulf and Port Augusta. The outward bound vessels frequently leave their pilots at Wedge Island, at the mouth of Spencer Gulf. Tugs can be procured from Port Adelaide to which place a mail goes overland once a week. The steamer trading to Port Augusta frequently tows