Chapter 4:125 - 136
Chapter 7: 217 - 247
Chapter 5:137 - 144
Guide, book's last 2
5) Medical Terminology
6) Venipuncture Equipment
7) Body Systems
Chapter 5: 144 - 176
1.List the common medical word roots, prefixes, and suffixes, and state their definition.
1. List and describe the use of various types of equipment needed for venipuncture blood collection.
1. List the eleven major body systems
2. Understand the function of the different body systems
2.List the abbreviations commonly associated with laboratory tests.
2. Describe when to wear gloves and when they should be changed.
3. Be able to identify the major organs in each system
3.Relate body positions, directional terms, and planes of the body to phlebotomy.
List the body cavities and the organs associated with each cavity.
Define homeostasis and the two different types of metabolism.
6.Describe the organization of cells in the human body to form body systems
3. Compare and contrast the various types of antiseptics and disinfectants and describe their uses.
Discuss the various types of wastes generated by phlebotomy and list their proper waste containers.
Identify and describe the various types of tourni- quets, the reason for their use, proper placement and maximum time allowed.
6. Describe the various types of needles, their parts, sizing by gauge and length, common use, and safety features.
Demonstrate awareness of disorders common to the body systems.
Know which laboratory tests are associated with the different body systems
List the three types of systems use for venipuncture and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each system.
Describe the color coding used to quickly identify the presence or absence of additives
8) The Circulatory System Reading Assignment:
Chapter 6: 177 - 198
Identify the layers and primary structures of the heart.
Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the function of the circulatory system and related terms.
Identify the two main divisions of the vascular structures / system, the pulmonary and systemic circulations, and describe the flow of blood through these systems.
Differentiate the physical characteristics of veins, arteries and tendons.
Identify the veins of the arms, hands, legs, and feet on which phlebotomy is performed and describe the suitability of each for venipuncture.
List common disorders of the Circulatory System.
7.List tests commonly used to diagnose patients experiencing chest pain.