THE CHRIST SCANDAL
© Archives de Historé. Photo by Alain Fachini, 1908
The seal of the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda.
After three hundred years of operation, the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda developed into a massive internal organisation, issuing strictly party line material to an unsuspecting public. As a general principle, the territory of Propaganda was conterminous with countries that were non-Catholic in government, and emigrants were specifically targeted. The organisation of Propaganda was supported by means of a publishing division called the Propaganda Press that initially operated from Rome.1 It printed disinformation, both retrospective and contemporary, that was distributed to the public in the form of apostolic letters, creeds (See Entry, Fake Apostolic Letters and Creeds), brochures, pamphlets, bulletins, and church-established newspapers. A Society of Cardinals called Propagandists oversaw distribution of the information by means of church delegations, dioceses, vicariates, prefectures, simple missions, colleges, and universities, and by this method, Propaganda subsequently reached an international market.2