Opened in 1883 by the vicar, Thomas Woodhouse, funded by Miss Hagen, as an alternative to the ale house. Now the Room is the responsibility of a man- agement committee appointed by the Parish Coun- cil. Centenary celebrations were held in 1983, attended by Mr Gerald Stogdon, great nephew of the Rev. Stogdon who assisted at the opening in 1883.
The present site was largely funded by Sir Alan Horne of Ropley Manor in 1936. Regularly used by village societies like the Ropley Amateur Dramatic Society, talks, jumble sales, Church Fairs, wedding receptions, discos, etc. — and, as reported already, is adequate for the needs of Ropley.
Ropley Parish Hall — showing the “good” part of the car park
38 — Ropley at the Millennium
The Coffee Room — once a meeting place of the strong temperance move- ment active in Ropley around the turn of the last century
The Cricket team used to play in the grounds of Ropley House until it was thrown out for drinking beer, and moved to the Recreation Ground. Estab- lished after the Second World War, it is the responsi- bility of the Parish Council. Major improvements were carried out in the 1980’s, with the provision of the Tennis Club pavilion, the Bowling Club pavilion, and the children’s playground (founded by “ROMPS”). Tree planting carried out in the 1970’s and 80’s with the help of the County Council and prompted by the Ropley Society greatly improved the appearance.