X hits on this document

PDF document

CHAPTER XI ­ BARBERS POINT, HAWAII - page 8 / 10

26 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

8 / 10

The Misadventures of Me and My Family Tree

was gung ho on promotions. He said that our new skipper wanted all E­ s promoted to E­3 and all E­ s promoted to E­4. He then asked me if I would accept the position as his Education Petty Officer and help him achieve the Commanding Officers goal. I accepted.

As Education Petty Officer, the first thing I looked into was the E­2 to E­3 promotion situation. The failure rate for the E­3 exam was 100%. I asked the Education Clerk about this and found out that he was the author of this nightmare of a test. He also told me that he took great pride in the fact that no one could pass his test. I suggested, to him, that his test was too difficult, and that we put his test to the test. I asked the Education Officer to have two Officer Pilots take the E­3 exam. My reasoning was if two Officers took and failed the Airman test, then the test was unfair and should be re­written. To my delight, both officers failed the test miserably, and I was given permission to re­write the test. My test had about an 80% pass rate for those who studied the Airman Manuel. A month later the other 20% managed to pass a retake exam with the help of a little tutoring.

Turning E­ s into E­ s was a bit more challenging. I was up to snuff on the Aviation Structural Mechanic (AM) Rating but sadly lacking in knowledge when it came to the other

ratings.

Recognizing

that

I

coul

t

do

Class Aviation Machinist Mate (AD2) to

it all alone, the Education Officer found me a Second help those wanting to be Aviation Machinist Mates. He

then sent the two of us us for the task ahead.

to

the

Fleet

Shipboard

Instructors

School at

Pearl Harbor

to

help

prepare

AIRMAN SLIKER STAYS AN AIRMAN

We organized a school designed to develop Airman Apprentices into Airmen and turn Airmen into Third Class Petty Officers. We had each trainee for one full month. From my viewpoint, the program was a huge success. Our Captain had succeeded in promoting almost every E­3 and E­4 in the squadron. There was failure, however. One of my trainees, Airman Sliker, was sent to me for a month of intensive training. Each Division throughout the squadron was directed to send the best and most deserving men for this program. In reality, Airman Sliker was a goof­off and was t really deserving of the program. Despite not being deserving, Airman Sliker was flattered at being called the best and took the title to heart. Airman Sliker listened intently during the lectures and studied during the breaks. He was aware that I spent a lot of time

at home studying for the First Class test and our off duty hours. Counting school time, When promotion test time came, Sliker

asked if he could study at my house with me during our studying turned into 18 hour a day marathons.

passed

with

ease.

Unfortunately,

when

Sliker's

Department head saw Sliker s name on the promotion list, he exploded.

ho in the hell

recommended Sliker?

he demanded to know.

ou did, Sir, you recommended him when you

certified that he was your best Airman, was the reply. Department head demanded.

ell, un recommend him, the

When Sliker was told that he was t going to be promoted, even though he was on the promotion list, he went ballistic. He went to town and got good and drunk. Then he returned to the barracks and busted up most of the toilet fixtures in the head. The Barracks Master at Arms finally quelled the one­man riot.

Formal charges were brought against Sliker and he was brought before the Captain at

Captai

s Mast so that the Captain, acting as judge and jury, could determine Slic

s fate. One

by one Sliker s Leading Chief, his Division officer and his Department head had nothing but bad

86

Document info
Document views26
Page views26
Page last viewedSun Dec 11 12:46:29 UTC 2016
Pages10
Paragraphs331
Words6400

Comments