Cleveland, Ohio, and San Diego, California, are in different time zones. Notice the letters PST and EST on the ticket. The letters PST stand for Pacific standard time. San Diego, California, is in the PST zone, which is different from the EST zone that Cleve- land, Ohio, is in.
7. Can you figure out what the letters EST stand for? Hint: What direction is Cleveland from San Diego? EST = eastern standard time
8. How many hours difference is there between EST and PST? Hint:
Look at the
answer to question 4.
9. Is the PST zone behind or ahead of the EST zone? Hint: Compare Johnny’s watch to the arrival time on the ticket. Behind
10. If it is 8 p.m. in Cleveland, what time is it in San Diego?
11. If you wanted to call Johnny in San Diego at 2 p.m. PST from your home in Cleveland, Ohio, what time should you make the call from your house?
5 p.m. EST
*Bonus question: Why would a flight from Cleveland to San Diego take more time than the return flight from San Diego to Cleveland? Flights from east to west encounter greater wind resistance that tends to slow down the aircraft.
Johnny’s Airport Adventure