X hits on this document

PDF document

On the morning of Wednesday, 11 April 2007, terrorists struck Algerian government - page 3 / 6





3 / 6

, who targeted the Palais du Gouvernement, was identified as Marwan Boudina, aka Nabil. He was 28 years old, born in Algiers, and the third of eleven children.xv Boudina resided on a farm in Benboulaid in Al-Maqaria neighborhood in Bash-Jerrah, an area in the east of Algiers known as a stronghold for both Islamists and criminals.xvi He was reported to be involved with drugs and alcohol, but had allegedly “repented” in January and become a more “pious” Muslim.xvii According to his sister, however, he “stopped praying, and soon started getting drunk and high at night.”xviii

, the person AQLIM claimed had bombed the Interpol building, was not identified. He was reported to be a close friend of Boudina. He lived in the Hay Al-Jabal suburbs in Bourouba, Algiers. xix

Al Zubayr’s face was not shown in the AQLIM-released video which detailed the attacks. Algerian newspaper reported that he is "still alive".xx They said he escaped after he parked an explosive laden vehicle near the home of Colonel Tounsi, the Director General

of National Security in Hydra (Algiers). The bomb was later defused.xxi

The Algerian authorities denied that a bombing took place at the Interpol office.xxii


have also announced that Al Zubayr Abu Sajidah is alive, and a warrant was even issued for his arrest. xxiii AQLIM’s claim of responsibility detailing three successful bombings indicates that they prepared the statement for release prior to the attack taking place.

Al Zubayr Abu Sajidah’s retreat from impending martyrdom may explain why his face was not revealed in the AQLIM video released on 9 May. The group likely obscured Al Zubayr’s face to avoid assisting authorities in identifying and capturing him. xxiv

The Algerian security services allege that AQLIM intended to "detonate the cars remotely with the drivers inside", precluding the possibility of escape by bombers who changed their minds in the middle of an operation.xxv A statement from the Algerian Interior Minister said a remote detonator was found in the vehicle used in the attack on the government building, and a cell phone had been discovered in the unexploded car bomb of Al Zubayr Abu Sajidah. xxvi

On 5 March 2007, about one month before the bombings, an audio recording was sent to the Qatar-based Al Jazeera news agency warning Muslims in North Africa to avoid places which may be attacked. It is unknown whether this announcement alluded to this attempted triple bombing in Algiers. While the group claimed responsibility for attacks against Algerian army personnel in the days immediately following this announcement, such a warning would be unnecessary in these operations, which targeted isolated troops in rural areas of Algeria. The warning implies an attack in a more densely populated area, such as the suicide bombings in Algeria’s capital of Algiers.

Document info
Document views10
Page views10
Page last viewedWed Oct 26 23:53:39 UTC 2016