X hits on this document

PDF document

State of California Department of Pesticide Regulation - page 39 / 132





39 / 132


A N Y O N E W H O A D V E R T I S E S , solicits, or operates as a pest control business in California must be licensed by the Department of Pesticide Regula- tion (DPR) or the Structural Pest Control Board (SPCB).* DPR issues licenses to people who perform pest control for hire. Exempted from DPR’s licensing requirements are people who engage for hire in any of the following: • preservative treatment of fabrics or structural materials • seed treatment that is incidental to (occurs while performing) the individual’s regular business • structural pest control • household or industrial sanitation services • live capture and release of verte- brate pests Also, if you regularly engage in the business of tree surgery, you are not required to obtain a license to remove diseased or infested tissues or to apply disinfectants to wounds or cavities incidental to tree surgery. If you want to engage in pest control activities other than tree surgery, you must obtain a license from DPR. DPR also issues licenses or certifi- cates to • pest control advisers • individuals who use or supervise the use of restricted materials • people making aerial pesticide applications AND • those individuals who supervise the operations of licensed pest control dealers and businesses

To obtain these licenses and certifi- cates applicants must pass examina- tions prepared and administered by DPR. The passing score is 70 percent on the “Laws, Regulations, and Basic Principles” examination and one or more category examinations.

Pest Control Business License

Anyone who advertises, solicits, or operates as a pest control business must obtain a Pest Control Business License (unless they fall under the licensing exemptions listed above). Each pest control business must also have a qualified applicator licensee responsible for the pest control operations of the business. To obtain a Qualified Applicator License (QAL) you must pass DPR’s “Laws, Regula- tions, and Basic Principles” examina- tion. This examination covers laws and regulations pertaining to pesticides and pest control operations and basic safety principles. In addition, you must also pass one or more of the category examinations listed in Sidebar 3, depending on what type of pest control will be conducted by the business.

Minimum Requirements. You can apply for a Pest Control Business License by submitting a completed application and the required fee to DPR. The name of the person who holds the QAL and is responsible for the operations must be listed on the application, including the license

*If you need help determining whether you need a DPR pest control license or a structural pest control license, contact DPR’s Pest Management and Licensing Branch or the SPCB for advice on which license is required. See the “Introduction” for SPCB contact information.

Document info
Document views511
Page views511
Page last viewedMon Jan 23 23:03:28 UTC 2017