5.1. Testing the design input: The input signal was generated using a function generator mainly because we had concerns about the frequency response when we use a DAC. We used a function generator because it gave us the exact input we needed for the design. This was simply done by hooking a function generator up to the input of our design. Also the oscilloscope was used to monitor the input signal from the function generator.
5.2. Testing the design output: The output signal was tested and measured by using an oscilloscope and digital multimeter. From the spice simulations we knew the expected outputs so we knew our results were close, from the outputs we got from the real circuit simulation.
5.3. Testing the efficiency: Efficiency of the circuit was 98%, based on the voltage rails we used (+/- 90 volts). This was tested by monitoring the input and output voltage on the oscilloscope. This exceeded our goal as far as efficiency.
5.4.Testing the temperature/heat: The voltage rails used were big. The heat dissipated by circuit was high. However, throughout the testing and implementation the amplifier was always attached to the heat sink and the cooling fans were always on. We did not allow the heat dissipated by the amplifier to affect or circuit or output. Just to measure the amount of heat dissipated, we ran the amplifier at full load for ten minutes without the heat sink and measured its temperature, and it was 169oF. The temperature met our constraints.
5.5. Testing the harmonic distortion: The harmonic distortion of the circuit
was tested only in our Pspice simulation. Our target of 0.1 % (THD) was met on the schematic level. However, we could not physically measure the THD of our amplifier because we did not have the equipment to measure it.
Testing the frequency response: The frequency response of the amplifier was measured manually. When the amplifier was in operation we varied the frequency from about 1Hz to 10kHz and calculated the gain. A graph of the gain vs. frequency was plotted to show the type of frequency response we were getting from the amplifier. We had a flat response from .95Hz to 9.5kHz.