Mandell Chevrolet, Keystone Restaurant, Paramount Shoes, Thompson Brothers Furniture, John Trible‟s Appliance & Service, Sarah McCavett‟s Beauty Shop, and
nearly twenty other businesses.
Howard‟s Cleaners and Launderers, Safeway, District Home and Auto Supply Stores, Acme Market, and the Fairlawn Theatre were located in the next block along with a host of supply companies, the offices of a lawyer, doctor, and dentist, and shoe repair shops. In the 1500
Good Hope Road west of Nichols Avenue (Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave), May 4, 1952, Wymer Collection, The Historical Society of Washington, DC
block of Good Hope Road were the Anacostia Public Library, the Charles Berry Ice Cream Shop, and L N Burch & Sons Florists. Established in 1904, the Columbian Iron Works at 1402 - 22nd Street was a major business in the Fairlawn community. According to local residents, it was known throughout the city for making decorative ornamental iron stairs, porches, gates and fences.
Gerald and Mary Anne Upright, remember shopping at the DGS (District Grocery Stores, a largely Jewish-owned chain of cooperative grocers) on Minnesota Avenue, and at Kat‟s Market near Prout Street. They also recall viewing movies all day at the Anacostia Theatre for 60 cents. Manion, as well as long term Fairlawn resident Janice Larsen-Tyre, recall the Hi-Ho Restaurant that featured a soda fountain and ice cream that was very popular amongst the kids. It was located on Good Hope Road right across from Minnesota Avenue.
By 1970, along with the white exodus, there was a change in the mix of businesses. Many more vacancies existed along the Good Hope Road commercial strip. The new mix of businesses included the Washington Technical Institute, the Anacostia Citizens & Merchants Non-Profit, Anacostia Center for Medical Services, F.W. Woolworth, a self service laundry, a Sunoco gas station, and several other auto-related businesses. This era also ushered in the proliferation of social
service agencies such as an office of the D.C. Department of Public Welfare and a U.S. Army Recruiting Station.
Angela Simpson, a resident of Fairlawn since the mid- 1960s, fondly remembers that on 14th Street, in the old Carroll Laundry building, there was Linens of the Week where, as a child, she would buy snacks from the vending machines. However, the idyllic memories of Simpson, Mary Brown and other residents are marred by their recall of the crack cocaine epidemic that swept through Fairlawn in the 1980s. The scourge drastically impacted the fabric of the community. It was the ensuing open air drug sales, robberies, burglaries and prostitution that led to the formation of the Fairlawn Coalition, also known as the Orange
Carroll Laundry Smokestack, DC Office of Historic Preservation
Hats. Neighbors became engaged in civilian patrols and stood watch on certain „hot spot‟ intersections and blocks to protect their treasured homes, streets, and community.
9 FAIRLAWN: From the Flats to the Heights