Pennsylvania Avenue. There was only one major church in Fairlawn during this time, the Garden Memorial Presbyterian Church at 17th Street and Minnesota Avenue, built in 1892.
On July 2, 1911, a Washington Post article announced “Fairlawn Cut Into Lots.” Over 120 acres of the
Christie property were sold to Oscar C. Brothers, Jr. who carved the estate into building lots. Brothers was the nephew of Arthur Randle, the developer of Congress Heights. The article reported
Garden Memorial Presbyterian Church, August 6, 1949 – Wymer Collection, The Historical Society of Washington, DC
that trees and shrubs of the old country residence had been removed, and hundreds of new brick row- homes were being built. Two weeks later, on July 14th an advertisement in the Washington Post summoned “500 men” to buy homes at the newly subdivided Christie property. These new Fairlawn homes were projected to provide an economic stimulus to the as yet sparsely developed Anacostia.
Advertisement in The Washington Post, July 14, 1911
The Washington Post, July 2, 1911.
The Fairlawn of the 1930s was an all-white, economically prosperous and fairly self-sufficient neighborhood. By 1950, according to the Washington Post, Fairlawn Avenue was lined with modernized high voltage electric light poles which gave “outdoor luminosity to the community.” By then, additional roadways and streets had been formed such as: Young Street, R Street, 18th Street, 19th Street, 20th Street, 21st Street, 22nd Street, and Ridge Place. Also, streetcars and Capital Transit public buses were the major forms of public transportation.
3 FAIRLAWN: From the Flats to the Heights