In 1935, Anacostia Senior High School became the second public school in Fairlawn and the first public high school east of the river. Built at 1601 16th Street, Anacostia Senior High School, with 247,000 square feet, provided new public education opportunities to its white-only student body. In 1953, just two years before integration, Anacostia High School made national news for being the first public high school to have a “night- long” prom. There were, of course, parental and faculty chaperones. The prom lasted until midnight, which was rare at the time. The students ended the
Ivy covered Anacostia Senior High School, August 6, 1949, Wymer Collection, The Historical Society of Washington, DC
night at the Anacostia Theatre on Good Hope Road. The event proved successful and began a new trend in high school proms.
Kramer Junior High located at 1700 Q Street was built in 1943 for grades 7 through 9 and like Anacostia Senior High School was exclusively white. Kramer was named after an influential assistant superintendent of DC public schools, Stephen E. Kramer. He spearheaded a program for junior high school boys that incorporated
Anacostia Theatre, August 6, 1949, Wymer Collection, The Historical Society of Washington, DC
periods of exercises, military drill maneuvers without guns, and hygiene training to prepare the young boys for military drafts.
Despite demonstrated resentment, January 7, 1955 marked the beginning of the desegregation of Anacostia High School as the Washington Post heralded, “Integration Begins Today for D.C. Highs”. Five years later, in 1960, it was reported that Kramer Junior High School was 15% over capacity. In 1964, Kramer submitted a request to transfer some students to other, less crowded junior high schools. By 1970, like Fairlawn, Orr, Anacostia, and Kramer schools were all majority black schools.
In 1920, Good Hope Road was lined with “mom and pop” shops. There was Allen Thomas‟ Feed, Sam Franzier‟s Coal, J.H. Miller Barber, Frank Campbell Hardware, and Pumphrey and Mays Soft Drinks, along with warehouses and other small shops. The Sanitary Grocery Company stood alone as a large commercial business retailer on the Good Hope Road corridor at the time.
However, by 1950, Good Hope Road was booming with businesses. Taverns and restaurants like The Shanty, the Green Derby, and Little Tavern were at the foot of the 11th Street Bridge where according to local residents, military personnel from the Anacostia Naval Air Station and the Washington Navy Yard would mingle. At the 1100 block of Good Hope Road businesses like, Peoples Drug Store, the Anacostia Post Office, the Anacostia Lunch Restaurant, Pyles J. Raymond Grocery, and the Family Barber Shop, were among many other businesses. The 1200 block housed F.W. Woolworth, Ourisman-
8 FAIRLAWN: From the Flats to the Heights