Chapter 4 Homework SOLUTION
Follow the homework guidelines given in the syllabus! Show your work, use units and sig figs, where appropriate.
1. Label the following elements as metals, nonmetals or metalloids.
A noble gas
2. Give the name and symbol for a unique element (use each only once) that represents:
Calcium, Ca Iron, Fe Neptunium, Np Iodine, I Argon, Ar Astatine, At
These are all just examples!
Write the full chemical symbols for carbon-14, cobalt-57, and uranium-238.
4. Deuterium and tritium are two isotopes of hydrogen, and have one neutron and two neutrons, respectively. Write the full chemical symbol for deuterium and tritium.
5. Fill in the missing values in the table below.
**I had errors in the silicon and iridium entries! The process remains the same, the result is a very unstable nucleus.
6. What is the difference between the mass number and the atomic mass given on the Periodic
Table? The mass number is the sum of the protons and neutrons for a particular isotope of an element. What we find on the periodic table is the average masses of all isotopes of the element.
Chapter 4 Homework
Page 1 of 2