X hits on this document





3 / 12

Vietnam Veterans of America Guide to Vocational Rehabilitation for further information on VR&E and educational benefits.

Your local military base may offer career counseling and job placement services, but if it d o e s n t , t h e r e s p l e n t y o f i n f o r m a t i o n a n d a s s i s t a n c e o n t h e I n t e r n e t . T h e j o b s p o r t a l www.military.com offers an online “Military Skills Translator.” Just select your branch of service and enter your military occupational specialty or the irst letter of your job. It will automatically provide you with the civilian job TRANSFERABLE SKILLS What can you do? DOL has identified military jobs that translate easily into the civilian workforce:

title for the work you did. The VA also offers an online skills translator on its website that describes military jobs and their related civilian occupations.

To get more information on specific careers; the type of training required; hours, benefits and pay they typically provide; and what future opportunity they hold, search the DOL’s Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook online at: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocoiab.htm

Accounting Computers Construction Education Electronics Engineering Financial Administration Foreign Languages Law Enforcement

WHAT TRAINING OR PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION DO I NEED? Now, how do you make sure you’re qualified for the position you want – and capable of earning the highest salary possible?

You can improve your chances through higher education, degree and certificate programs, flight training, correspondence programs and apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs paid for by your VA educational benefit programs, including the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB). Actually a series of educational benefits, MGIB includes:

  • Full-time study benefits – At current rates you can receive $985 a month for up to 36 months to pay for full-time study at colleges, trade or vocational schools. The money is direct-deposited into your personal account, providing that you verify your full-time student status for the VA by telephone or online via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) every month. Because the payments are made to you monthly, they are considered income and not financial assistance; you may have to take out a student loan to pay the school in full each semester and then pay it down with your MGIB benefits. (Note: Full-time study is considered 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours in an academic year. This measure also qualifies as nine months of responsible experience time for civil service placement and can help you earn a higher grade/pay scale if you ultimately work for the government.)

Document info
Document views44
Page views44
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 12:41:57 UTC 2017