X hits on this document





5 / 12

  • Continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty and served 4 years ("2 by 4" Program).


  • Entered active duty before January 1, 1977.

  • Served at least 1 day between 10/19/84 and 6/30/85, and stayed on active duty through 6/30/88 (or 6/30/87 if you entered Selected Reserve within 1 year of leaving active duty and served 4 years).

  • On 12/31/89, you had entitlement left from Vietnam Era GI Bill.


  • Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or II.

  • On active duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91.

  • OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93.

  • OR voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive

(VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program.

  • Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1,200.


  • On active duty on 10/9/96 AND you had money remaining in a VEAP account on that date AND you elected MGIB by 10/9/97.

  • OR entered full-time National Guard duty under Title 32, USC, between 7/1/85, and 11/28/89 AND you elected MGIB during the period 10/9/96, through 7/8/97.

  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1,200 lump-sum contribution.

WHAT ABOUT PREPARING MY RESUME AND WHAT IS VETERANS PREFERENCE? You’ll need to present your skills, education, training and ability in a resume that explains what it is that you can offer a prospective employer – in language understandable to those who have never been in the military. Most won’t understand your MOS AFSC, so you need to use the words they use themselves to describe their positions. And if you’re seeking a position in government, understand that they have their own jargon and acronyms – which they prefer to the ones you use.

Your resume is your primary sales tool as well as your opportunity to claim Veterans’ Preference – special considerations and advantages that veterans have over other groups in applying for federal, state and most civil service positions. The Vietnam Veterans of America Resource Guide to Veterans’ Preference explains how to qualify for five-point or 10-point preference, and how to write your resumes to claim your preference and improve your ranking in keyword searches.

When applying for federal jobs (See “Applying for Federal Jobs”, below), you can complete OPM form OF-612, “Optional Application for Federal Employment” in lieu of

Document info
Document views45
Page views45
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 13:09:39 UTC 2017