Cox or Cocks Family
David C. Cox, Sr., born 1748, came with Daniel Boone from the Yadkin Valley area of North Carolina on one of his expeditions, along with other neighbors to what is now Scott County, Virginia. Married Jemima Leach and later settled at Fort Blackmore, where he died Feb. 28, 1828.
Thomas W. Carter in a letter to Dr. Lyman C. Draper, states that David Cox died at his home on Stoney Creek one half mile north of Fort Blackmore.
W. S. Cox, Attorney of Law, son of Emory and Elizabeth Mann Cox, in a statement dictated before he died in 1931 said the old Cox family Bible failed to give the date of his birth but gave the date of his death as being Feb. 28, 1828.
Tradition represents David Cox as having been at one time a companion of Daniel Boone; that he was captured in the neighborhood of Stoney Creek by the Indians; that he was carried as a captive into the North; that, after a period of from 2 to 4 years in captivity, he returned to his home on the Yadkin River, where he interested a number of persons in an attempt to make a settlement at the mouth of Stoney Creek.
In the spring of 1777, when Benge is represented as having made a visit to Fort Blackmore, it was David Cox, who, it was alleged, furnished Matthew Gray with an extra rifle, with which to shoot the gobbling Indian.
April 3, 1793, David Cox purchased 180 acres of land from Samuel Auxe. In 1817 David Cox, James Albert and John Duncan by paying delinquent tax on the Fort Blackmore tract of land, became owner of a tax claim against it. As an outcome of this transaction, James Albert became owner of “Blackmore’s Old Fort” consisting of 300 acres. This same tract was then sold under a deed of trust to Goldman Davidson, who in turn sold it to James S. Cox.