X hits on this document

PDF document

Small amount of the Cox History by W.S. Cox - page 3 / 3





3 / 3

Cocke or Cox Mill

The First Mill was located on Stoney Creek about 1 mile north of Fort Blackmore. It was owned by the first David C. Cocke, who married Jemima Leach. It was a large mill for wheat and corn, and had an overshot water wheel. It has been said that he built the mill and was the first Miller on Stoney Creek or Fort Blackmore. This mill was given to David L. Cocke, Jr., who married Rebecca Boggs. The second mill was bought by David C. Cocke, Sr., from Alexander Dunlap along with 40 acres land August 28, 1798. He had bought 200 acres from Samuel Oxer on Stoney Creek where the first Mill was, February 23, 1795. This was part of the Henry Hamlin land he got from a grant.

The first Mill was operated until about 1905 or 1910, the second mill was operated until 1958 to 1960. These two mills were in the Cox Family for many years. The second mill was an under shot mill and was last operated by Floyd Cox, a son of Logan Cox, who was a son of Dr. James S. Cox, a son of the 1st David C. Cocke.

Note from Lucy Green White:

The burrs from the mill of David C. Cox (original spelling Cocke) are now in the possession of Dr. Lemuel Cox of Kingsport, Tennessee, a gr. gr. grandson of David C. Cox.

Document info
Document views3
Page views3
Page last viewedMon Oct 24 02:12:34 UTC 2016