8. Complete peer evaluation of all members including self and submit at the time of presentation.
Areas of Occupational Performance:
Meal PreparationHome ManagementClothing CareFunctional Mobility
ShoppingChild rearingWorkSocial Participation
Grading of Project I:
Description of technique/method:2 pt
Demonstration of technique/method:2 pt
Frame of Reference/Model of Occupation:2 pt
APA/Writing skills:2 pt
Peer evaluation:1 pt
II. Diagnostic Paper Presentation:
Students will form groups of 2-3 persons and select a topic from the following list. Topics may not be repeated. Student presentations are scheduled according to class syllabus. Students must have their topic approved by the instructor. Topics:
Multiple sclerosisParkinson’s disease
Neurological sequelae to AIDSGuillain-Barre syndrome
Huntington’s diseaseAmyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Complex regional pain syndrome Alzheimer’s disease
Two copies of the paper must be submitted from each group. Paper will consist of a 6-8 page typed paper, using APA format, and at least 5 references, beyond the required texts. Students must interview either an individual with the selected diagnosis or a member of the individual's family. The interview must be cited in your paper using APA format. The interview may be conducted through the use of a Web Site or online correspondence. An outline of the paper is required and must be distributed to the class at the time of the presentation.
The paper must address the following:
1. Explain the impact of this disorder on the individual’s ability to function within their environment. The interview must address how the disorder impacts on the person’s occupational performance.
2. Identify Occupational Therapy intervention appropriate when working with any person with this disorder, include both the role of the OTR and the COTA. You must provide specific information on appropriate interventions.
3. Identify any adaptive equipment or environmental modifications necessary to assist this individual.
4. Reference list of at least 5 additional sources beyond the assigned texts for this course. Two references must be obtained from recent journals (after 2000). The completed paper must be submitted at time of presentation. Papers will be returned at the time of the final examination.
5. Complete peer evaluation of all members including self and submit at the time of presentation.
At a time scheduled by the instructor (see syllabus), the group will be given 15 minutes to present the paper to the class followed by a brief period for classmates to ask questions, 1-2 minutes. If you exceed the time limit it will impact on the grade for your presentation. Include in your presentation how the disorder impacts on the person's functional performance. The presentation must include the role of Occupational Therapy, both the OTR and the COTA, working with anyone with this disorder; specific intervention approaches and adapted equipment to be used with an individual who has this disorder must be discussed. An outline of your paper must be provided to the class at the time of your presentation. Grading will be determined for each individual by peer evaluation, the content of the paper and the actual presentation. Please refer to course manual for peer evaluation form.
All written work will be graded on the following basis:
1. Completeness of assignment