grilles have been installed in front of all of these windows. The northernmost and second-, third-, and fifth- northernmost windows feature two-pane top sashes with vertical muntins; the fourth-northernmost window features a four-pane top sash; and the four southernmost of these windows feature four-pane upper and lower sashes, all of which are wood. The fourth and fifth floors appear to contain their historic, multi-pane metal windows with horizontally pivoting sashes, dating from 1919; five of the fourth-floor windows have been altered with the removal of panes for the installation of vents, air conditioners, and satellite dishes. The south- ernmost fifth-floor window has also been altered with the installation of an air-conditioning unit. Numerous vents, a satellite dish attached to the northernmost fifth-floor window sill, and other non-historic items are present on this façade.
The primary north, or 134th Street façade, has also seen alterations, with the filling of the fourth- westernmost first-floor window opening with brick. A non-historic metal gate with gate housing and exposed mechanism has been installed at the first floor, and four vents have been installed on this façade. Vertical wiring, wrapped in insulation, has been installed below the second floor. One window at the fourth floor, and one window at the fifth floor have been altered to allow for the installation of window air conditioning units. The fourth and fifth floors appear to contain their historic, multi-pane metal windows with horizontally pivot- ing sashes, dating from 1919. The five first-floor windows on the Lincoln Avenue façade have wood frames and wood top sashes; each of the easternmost, third-easternmost, and westernmost of these windows has a two- pane top sash with a vertical muntin, and the others feature four-pane upper sashes. Non-historic metal grilles with privacy panels have been installed in front of the first-floor windows. Two visible satellite dishes have been installed on top of the pilasters on the visible secondary east façade of the Lincoln Avenue leg of the building.
Alterations at the clock tower include the removal of the historic entrance on the tower’s south face, at the second-westernmost first-floor bay, and its modification into a window opening; the installation of a metal drainage pipe, which penetrates a terra cotta tile on the east face of the clock tower, above the clock face; and changes to the parapet, which appears to have originally been brick with rectangular, corbelled brick recesses. None of the windows on the clock tower appear to be historic except for the third-southernmost, four-over- four, double-hung wood window at the fourth floor on the west face of the tower; one pane of this window has been removed to allow for the installation of a vent. Brick infill has been installed within the upper portions of the first- and second-floor window openings. Through-the-wall air conditioners have been installed below the second-westernmost opening on the south face, and below the second-southernmost opening on the west face of the tower.
Report researched and written by Michael D. Caratzas Research Department, LPC