History of the American Piano-Forte, pp. 283-84.
Musical Instrument Makers of New York, p. 19.
90 History of the American Piano-Forte, pp. 283-84.
91 A factor in the company’s success may have been its ability to benefit from Estey Organ’s outstanding distribu- tion network. An 1888 “article” in the Atlanta Constitution—apparently, a thinly veiled advertisement—stated that “the name of Estey is fast becoming a household word throughout the South, and the whole Union as for that matter, and for prospective buyers there is no instrument that can be more highly recommended than the Estey Piano. It is going to be the piano of the future.” See “Verified: A Statement Formerly Made to a Representative of the Constitu- tion,” Atlanta Constitution, September 2, 1888, p. 5.
New York City New Building Docket No. 1890-564.
93 LPC, SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District Designation Report (LP-0768) (New York: City of New York, 1973); LPC, Gansevoort Market Historic District Designation Report (LP 2132) (New York: The Commission, 2003), prepared by Jay Shockley, pp. 49-50; LPC Architects’ Files.
94 New York City New Building Docket No. 1895-230 and Alteration Docket No. 1895-233. A sketched map in- cluded with the alteration application shows the one-story office then existing at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and 134th Street.
95 Because no evidence has been found in Department of Buildings records to indicate that the new building and extension from 1895 were later torn down and replaced with a new building, it seems safe to assume that the addi- tion and building north of the original factory on Lincoln Avenue were later expanded and served as the base of the second- and third-floor addition built in 1909, and the fourth- and fifth-floor addition built in 1919. Changes in the one-story portion may be tracked using the 1900 Hyde Atlas of the Borough of the Bronx, City of New York and G.W. Bromley & Company, Atlas of the City of New York, Borough of the Bronx (Philadelphia: G.W. Bromley & Company, 1907). On the former map, the one-story portions of the factory along Lincoln Avenue and 134th Street are shown as three separate buildings; by 1907, they appear as a single structure.
96 “Bronx Dwellers Demand Subways,” New York Times, July 31, 1910, p. X6; “Followed Husband in Death: Hew- lett S. Baker and Wife Buried Together from Bronx Home,” New York Times, December 28, 1912, p. 1.
1900 Hyde Atlas of the Borough of the Bronx, City of New York.
98 “The Building Department,” New York Times, March 17, 1900, p. 12. On Slocum, see “Philadelphia Architects and Buildings” (accessed online at www.philadelphiabuildings.org); and Elizabeth Lambeth Gereau, “S. Gifford Slocum: Upstate New York Architect,” Preservation League of New York State Newsletter, November-December 1983, pp. 4-5.
99 New York City Alteration Docket No. 1909-32. The 1907, updated to 1912 Hyde Atlas of the Borough of the Bronx, City of New York shows that Slocum’s two-story addition had apparently been completed by 1912. “Estey Piano Sale” (Advertisement), New York Times, November 18, 1917, p. X6.
100 Pianos and Their Makers, p. 365; “Death of Julius J. Estey,” Chicago Tribune, March 8, 1902, p. 2.
101 “Estey Player Piano” (Advertisement), New York Times, December 29, 1916, p. 4. By the mid-1860s, the area around Union Square had become the city’s musical and theatrical center; many major piano manufacturers main- tained showrooms there in the late nineteenth century. See Steinway Hall Designation Report, p. 3.