1. Woodbury MG, Houghton PE. Prevalence of pressure ulcers in Canadian healthcare settings. Ostomy Wound Manage 2004;50(10):22-4, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36-7-38.
2. Lyder CH. Pressure ulcer prevention and management. Annu Rev Nurs Res 2002;20:35- 61.
Reddy M, Gill SS, Rochon PA. Preventing pressure ulcers: a systematic review. JAMA 2006;296(8):974-84.
Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario. Risk assessment & prevention of pressure ulcers (revised). In: Nursing Best Practice Guideline [database online]. Toronto: Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario; 2005. Available: http://www.rnao.org/bestpractices/PDF/BPG Pressure Ulcers v2.pdf (accessed 2007 Nov 29).
National Institute for Clincal Excellence. The use of pressure relieving devices (beds, mattresses and overlays) for the prevention of pressure ulcers in primary and secondary care [Guidelines commissioned by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence]. London (UK): Royal College of Nursing; 2003. Available: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/cg007fullguideline.pdf (accessed 2007 Nov 29).
Nicosia G, Gliatta AE, Woodbury MG, Houghton PE. The effect of pressure-relieving surfaces on the prevention of heel ulcers in a variety of settings: a meta-analysis. Int Wound J 2007;4(3):197-207.
7. Cullum N, McInnes E, Bell-Syer SE, Legood R. Support surfaces for pressure ulcer prevention. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;(3):CD001735.
Feuchtinger J, de BR, Dassen T, Halfens R. A 4-cm thermoactive viscoelastic foam pad on the operating room table to prevent pressure ulcer during cardiac surgery. J Clin Nurs 2006;15(2):162-7.
Nixon J, Nelson EA, Cranny G, Iglesias CP, Hawkins K, Cullum NA, et al. Pressure relieving support surfaces: a randomised evaluation. Health Technol Assess (Winch Eng ) 2006;10(22):iii-iiv. Available: http://www.hta.nhsweb.nhs.uk/pdfexecs/summ1022.pdf.
Theaker C, Kuper M, Soni N. Pressure ulcer prevention in intensive care - a randomised control trial of two pressure-relieving devices. Anaesthesia 2005;60(4):395-9.
Vanderwee K, Grypdonck MH, Defloor T. Effectiveness of an alternating pressure air mattress for the prevention of pressure ulcers. Age & Ageing 2005;34(3):261-7. Available: http://ageing.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/34/3/261 (accessed 2007 Nov 27).
12. Jolley DJ, Wright R, McGowan S, Hickey MB, Campbell DA, Sinclair RD, et al. Preventing pressure ulcers with the Australian Medical Sheepskin: an open-label randomised controlled trial. Med J Aust 2004;180(7):324-7.
13. Russell LJ, Reynolds TM, Park C, Rithalia S, Gonsalkorale M, Birch J, et al. Randomized clinical trial comparing 2 support surfaces: results of the Prevention of Pressure Ulcers Study. Adv Skin Wound Care 2003;16(6):317-27.
Specialty Mattresses for Prevention of PUs in Acute and Critical Care