Rotary in Cyprus
Cyprus today has 18 Clubs. The first Rotary Club in Cyprus was established in 1938 in Nicosia, at the initiative of a small group of distinguished Cypriot businessmen and professionals who had seen Rotary work abroad. The group included Costas Manglis, Zenon Pierides, Theodoros Artemis. Sir Mehmet Mounir, Stelios Georgallides, George Poulias and others. The club charter was presented to the club by the then Governor Arthur Merton and the first President was Rot. N E Disney.
Cyprus then, became part of District 195, which included Egypt, Lebanon and certain other Countries of the Middle East.
Possibly because of the great war of 1940-45, there was a big time-gap between the establishment of the first RC in Cyprus and the second – which was the RC of Limassol established in 1951, followed by the RC of LCA organised in 1953 by the then Rotarian Mayor of Larnaca Zenon Pierides who had been one of the founder members of the Nicosia club and who later served as Director of RI.
About the same timework was started on the establishment of the RC of Famagusta, which received its charter in 1954.