Efforts were made to keep the general staff as limited as possible. It was, however, necessary to form, in addition to the general office of the National Council in Cardiff, area offices in Rhyl and Carmarthen for North and West Wales respectively. Mr. W. R. Watkins managed the work in North Wales from Rhyl, and Mr. D. J. Sell acted in a similar manner for South Wales, from the Cardiff office. The educational work was directed by Mr. A.C. Davey, M.Sc., and the Stores was managed by Mr. Huge Glaser. Otherwise this great volume of work was controlled by the ordinary Council staff.
The National Council activities in the Swansea district were supervised by a group of laymen appointed by the Executive Committee of the Swansea YMCA. Details of organisation were carefully planned by this Committee and the Council's staff, and considerable personal service was rendered by its various members. Every type of YMCA Centre for the Forces was opened in and around the town. At a buffet on the Station Platform, tea and cakes were provided for those travelling by train. Immediately outside the station, in Alexandra Road, an excellent hostel with 60 beds was open night and day. If members of the Forces wished to remain in Swansea for week-end or longer leave, the hostel of the Central YMCA was opened for this purpose.
An Officers' Club was opened at Gore Terrace, near the Station. At Fairwood Common R.A.F. Station, five miles out of Swansea a permanent YMCA was built. Other centres were situated at Mumbles and Crymlyn Burrows. In addition, a fleet of mobile canteens covered the whole of Swansea and District. No better band of voluntary workers served men and women of the Forces in any part of the country. In addition to staffing all canteens, both static and mobile, and rendering service during enemy air attacks, the members of the Swansea YMCA Women's Auxiliary met every train bringing wounded men into Swansea, from whence they were conveyed by road to various hospitals in West Wales. A small gift parcel was provided by the YMCA ladies for every man passing through Swansea in this way.
Realising the necessity to exercise control over financial transactions of an extensive trading organisation, a system adopted included the securing of monthly statements of income and expenditure from each trading unit of both mobile and static canteens. These matters having been discussed with a friend of the YMCA, Mr D. J. Morris of Barclays Bank and later the Manager of the Bank at Cowbridge, he agreed to gather a team of six workers from his bank colleagues, to undertake voluntarily and in their leisure time, the preparation of the total war accountancy of the YMCAs in Wales.
The work was commenced in the middle of September, 1939 and continued until the end of the war activities in 1946. With one exception, the original group remained steadfastly to its undertaking. Monthly statements were issued within three weeks of the endings of a month for each trading centre, after accounts and vouchers had been checked. The centres numbered 126 and the mobile canteens, 47. In addition, a comprehensive monthly financial statement was issued for members of the organising staff. At the end of the financial year, an annual statement was issued for audit. Later, a retired Bank Manager, Mr. W.A. Harries, devoted a full morning's work each working day.