was appointed and, during his term of office, made a vital impact upon the membership which greatly increased. The accommodation in St. Mary Street was inadequate to house the expanding activities and it was decided the time was right to build elsewhere. The St. Mary Street property was sold for £7,500.
A tireless worker, Mr. Price hunted for a central building site and was successful in securing the land in Station Terrace, Cardiff on which a YMCA building was erected at a cost of £16,500. The building, at that time, was considered to be one of the best Association premises in the country.
The members of the Cardiff Committee were honoured stone was laid by the founder of the Movement, who Williams, in September, 1899. The opening ceremony Kinnaird, President of the National Council of the September, l9OQ.
in that the foundation was by then Sir George was performed by Lord Movement in England, in
At this time Mr. Frank Higman was appointed Secretary and continued to give inspired leadership for thirty two years. In a new building, with well planned accommodation and a newly appointed secretary, in his middle thirties, the Cardiff Association witnessed a renaissance of programme activities. During F. S. Higman's term of office the Association ranked in prestige with the great city Associations of the country. It is a tribute to the varied programme and vigorous activities that young men were attracted to within its walls from all parts of the City and suburbs in 1901. Three Bible classes were conducted each week, including a class for boys. A prayer meeting was held on Saturday nights, a Sunday Evening Service for boys and a Home Circle for adults. Lectures, debates, classes in Frenoh, Elocution and Bookkeeping were held as were Gymnastic classes for boys and adults. A well stocked library was housed in the Reading Room.
The Secretary led various Bible Classes and to attend a discussion group conducted by F. S. Higman, whether the subject was of a religious nature or topical, was a venture for any young man.
The Cory Hall Lectures were as well noted and popular in Cardiff as were the Exeter Hall Lectures in London.
Sunday afternoon services were started in the spacious Park Hall, on 17th November, 1889. These services were initiated by young men from the then Presbyterian Church, Windsor Place, and the Cardiff YMCA. An organ recital preceded the service. Items of music were rendered by choirs and individuals. A short address was given by Cardiff personalities. The movement was supported by well known Cardiffians such as Sir Donald and Sir Ewan Maclean, James Howells, G. E. Gammon, John Summers, and F.S. Higman.
In 1953 the services were transferred to the Cardiff YMCA. The 70th Anniversary was held in the Cory Hall, Cardiff, on Sunday, 7th December, 1958 These Services had continued for an unbroken period of over 70 years.
YMCA activities in Cardiff were not confined to the Central Association Buildings. They were expanded into the suburbs. Purpose built premises were erected at Grangetown and two Red Triangle Institutes were opened, one at St. Mellons and one at Whitchurch. The Cory Workmen's Institutes, one at Canton, two at Splot, and another at Broadway, were transferred to the YMCA.