The Ministry of Works had been approached and a request made to consider issuing a Building licence to proceed with the first stage of extensions in 1949, by continuing from the rear of the existing building with a three floor structure to the rear boundary wall, and proceeding with a ground floor block of bedrooms at a left angle and parallel to the back boundary wall to within twelve feet, of the side boundary wall. The estimated cost of the work outlined, undertaken by the Building Squad of the Welsh Council, approximated £7,000.
The Ministry officials were informed by the Secretary of the Welsh YMCA Council that the work would be carried out by the direct labour of experienced craftsmen, several buildings of the same character and importance as the Glanmorfa scheme having been undertaken. Materials would be of a high grade quality and purchased from firms of repute. The architect was a member of the National Council's staff.
On 21st April, 1949, the Ministry indicated that the YMCA application to extend the existing Glanmorfa premises had been accepted and approved; it was an authorisation to undertake the first section of the new Glanmorfa and accompanied by the information that permits for rationed materials were under consideration.
In its communication, the Ministry had stated further that when the Licence came to hand the YMCA should give careful consideration to the following suggestions:
The amount of expenditure to be undertaken.
The best time to consider extension work, keeping in mind the
making use of existing accommodation during the peak period. iii. Staff arrangements When extensions had been completed.
Having received confirmation that a building licence would be received from the Ministry of Works, the YMCA made necessary arrangements to proceed with the building of the first section of the Glanmorfa scheme.
The work commenced on 22nd July, 1949.
A deputation of the War Emergency Committee visited Glanmorfa to examine the site and early construction, and to advise on the best method of protecting the property during the period of construction.
A revised estimate of building costs indicated that the work on No.1 Section would still be within the forecast of £7,000. The equipment ordered amounted to £1,313.1.6d. These costs had the approval of the committee.
The progress already made justified optimistic feelings that the new section would be ready on time to take visitors in early July, 1950. Reservations had already been accepted for Saturday, 8th July.
Friday, 7th July, was a wet day. Everybody hurried with last minute jobs; it was like ladies in a Church Bazaar at 2.55. The cream plaster was mixed outside the building and the mixing labourer happy to trample in the wet mixture up to his knees. The lovely oak block floor had been finished with its shiny brightness at 1.00pm. The dining room was 75 ft long.
The Foreman and the Welsh YMCA National Secretary went, together, to view the floor. To their horror, a diagonal line of juicy white' footmarks stretched across the Hall! "Look" said the foreman, an old Colliery Banker