of which included the six southern Counties in Wales with a District Committee operating from Cardiff. The Liverpool YMCA Committee embarked upon establishing YMCAs in their area which included the near Counties of North Wales.
The National Council appointed regional Secretaries, each of whom was responsible for Association developments in four or five regions. Between 1886 and 1892, Henry Armstrong functioned as Secretary for the Southern Welsh Counties and also undertook visits to Caernarfonshire. In 1891, Associations were opened in Caernarfon, Bangor and Colwyn Bay, and in 1902 Bangor YMCA secured substantial premises in Upper Bangor which they occupied for many years.
In 1892 Henry Armstrong resigned from the secretaryship of the South Wales Region in order to take up the office of Secretary of the Newcastle upon Tyne YMCA. Before leaving Wales he recommended to the National Council that it should appoint a Welsh-speaking Welshman to take his place, in order to develop YMCAs in industrial areas.
The Welsh Committee advocating the extension of YMCA work in South Wales decided in 1895 to appoint a Welsh speaking Welshman as Secretary and that he should also be responsible for similar developments in North Wales. For this purpose, funds were raised to meet the cost of a Secretary for three years.
Mr. W. A. Thomas, the Honorary Secretary of the Bangor YMCA possessed the necessary Welsh language requirement, and became the Secretary responsible for YMCA work for the whole of Wales. He was ably assisted in conveying the YMCA message to many parts of Wales by the Rev. Glyn Davies, Bangor.
Their work, and the work of Henry Armstrong before them, so impressed the members of the National Council., London, that they suggested appointing a District Committee to be responsible for North Wales, and a Joint Committee of members from both the South and North Wales Committees to form an Executive Committee for the whole of Wales on behalf of the National Council, London, with the title "The Executive Committee of Management" of Wales.
YMCAs in North Wales.
Caernarfon, Bangor, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Holiday Centre,
1896-1899 1900-1914 1920-1930
Denbigh and Rhyl. Ffynongroew, Old Colwyn. Re-opening of Bangor YMCA
, Port Dinorwic and Llanfairfechan
Bethel, Llansanani Trawsfynydd, Penrhynd udraeth, Newtown and Mostyn.
It would be fitting to bring this chapter to its close with a reminder to the reader of the excellent voluntary work undertaken by hundreds of ladies to maintain a considerable number of YMCA canteens for H.M. Forces located in North Wales during the war period, referred to in the previous chapter.