Another source of assistance was the Women’s Auxiliary, formed in 1925. Their energetic Chairman, Mrs. W. R. Williams, continued to give considerable assistance for many years, supported by her two sisters the Misses E and B. David.
About 1939 the National Fitness Council agreed with the Welsh Council of YMCAs to make a small grant to the Bridgend YMCA Committee in order to purchase No. 2 Court Road for the purpose of developing the property and site as a YMCA building. There was sufficient ground along the side of the house to erect a full size gymnasium. Unfortunately, the exigencies of war and other reasons prevented the development of the project, but during the war the house made an excellent canteen for H.M. Forces and the members of the Bridgend Auxiliary gave splendid service in administrating it.
In the summer of 1945, Mr. Glyn Jacob, the Treasurer of the Mountain Ash YMCA, where he had assisted considerably in the planning of the new YMCA building, moved to Bridgend. At the request of the local Committee he joined them and became their Treasurer.
It soon became obvious to the Committee that in order to survive the post- war period more commodious premises would have to be secured. The challenge inspired the few. New sites were visited and decisions taken. Two sites considered were a disused factory and a former restaurant, but neither appeared desirable.
Prior to his retirement, Mr. W. J. Pate had an interview with the Bridgend Town Clerk and another Council official regarding the possibility of securing a site in Angel Street, adjacent to the river. Prospective plans were prepared but action by the Committee was delayed due to fears of flooding. Further, the plans submitted were rejected by the planning authority with a request that plans of a contemporary style be prepared to fit in with elevations of other buildings in Angel Street.
In due course the Committee decided Western Disposals Ltd., of Cymbran, design and construction, prepared Authority and the YMCA Committee.
to proceed with the Angel Street site. a firm specialising in contemporary plans acceptable to the Planning
The cost for the first stage of the
project amounted to £19,199.,
and was completed in 1961. Grant aid for buildings for Youth Work became available under the 1944 Education Act, but the task of financing the venture required careful planning. However, the new National Secretary, Mr. Roberts and Mr. Glyn Jacob had considerable experience of such work and planned several public appeals.
The premises in Court Road were sold and the proceeds provided a small nucleus for a building fund.
In 1968 the local Committee decided to proceed with the second stage of the development which included the erection of a gymnasium, the total cost being £20,938.
The secretary and treasurer of the Welsh National Council sought the goodwill of the Youth Committee of the Glamorgan L.E.A., to support an application for grant aid towards the cost of the new building, from the Ministry of Education. The Glamorgan L.E.A. also provided substantial grant aid towards the appointment of a trained full time Leader and Secretary.