boys. The site was adjacent to the Central and linked up with it at the rear. Much to the regret of all concerned the work did not flourish and consequently this fine structure was sold to a commercial firm in 1921. This vision of YMCA Boys Work was a fore-runner of the era of the Service to Youth. Perhaps these bright concepts were expressed fifty years too early. In all probability today a block of buildings of this kind would have formed the most prominent Youth Centre in Cardiff, appreciated and well supported by the Local Education Authority.
Tribute should be paid to some of the splendid laymen responsible for directing and maintaining the wide range of service of the Young Men' s Christian Association in Cardiff in the earliest days - John and Richard Cory, J.E. Turner, Alderman W. H. Pethybridge, J.T. Edwards, Alan Pratt (President), to mention but a few.
This brief account would be incomplete without reference to the Association's hostel for men. It was well patronized by young businessmen who immigrated to Cardiff in the early 1900s, and by students attending the University College. In later years gracious tributes came from many of the homes of these young men, especially those in rural areas, for the hospitality and kindly friendship offered by the YMCA to their sons in a strange city.
The Association was founded in 1868, in St. Helen's Hall, opposite the present imposing buildings. Little is known of its early efforts, but the manner in which it developed leads to the assumption that it was, from the
beginning, maintain a
a flourishing movement. In its early days it was able to salaried secretary who was dedicated to his duties, and the
growth of members and activities necessitated an early move into more commodious premises. Like its contemporary Associations, its programme was of the religious pattern of George Williams, but from its earliest days it encouraged physical education.
Prominent Swansea citizens personally supported the new venture. Its first President was Alderman Henry Livingstone, who became the Mayor of Swansea during his term of office as President. Dr. Thomas Rees, the Minister of Ebeneser Welsh Congregational Church, who founded several churches in the district, was equally enthusiastic about the YMCA, as was Dr. Thomas Jones, Chairman of the Congregational Union of England and Wales in 1871. A prominent part in the affairs of the Association was taken also by Dr. Ebeneser Davies, the first Medical Officer of Health for Swansea, who was Chairman of the YMCA when it moved into more spacious premises.
In 1881 the Association, under the shrewd and bold leadership of its Secretary, Mr. W. Nichols, acquired new premises in Dynevor Place. It was a substantial four storey structure with large rooms capable of providing accommodation suitable for the requirements of the thriving and ever increasing religious, educational, social and physical education activities of the YMCA. It was at Dynevor Place that the foundations were laid for the strong and vigorous Swansea YMCA of the future. It had an honourable reputation throughout the Movement. Its lay leadership was outstanding and included many local well known business men. In 1890, Sir John Llewelyn was Mayor of Swansea and also Chairman of the YMCA.
While, however, a splendid fellowship was fostered in the homely atmosphere of Dynevor Place, the accommodation was soon bursting at the seams and the