"A declaration of Faith" of the Swansea YMCA is given on the first page of the printed brochure announcing details of the opening ceremony viz:-
"Swansea YMCA New Building
A home for men living away from home Club under Christian auspices Centre of Christian Service Monument of Christian Unity Training Institute for Christian Work School of Physical Culture Commercial, College and Educational Centre Stronghold for Jesus Christ Building radiated with Good Fellowship City of refuge from the Temptation of the City."
Those were the Aims and Purposes of the YMCA in 1913. It was the George Williams pattern.
This brief summary of the early days of the Swansea YMCA would be incomplete without reference to its Ladies' Auxiliary. It was the first Women's Auxiliary to be founded in Wales (1906). The Ladies' Committee never failed to match the efforts of the members of the General Committee when it was necessary to appeal for funds. It was responsible for social and domestic duties at all Association functions and ceremonies requiring refreshment arrangements. The Swansea Ladies Committee has an excellent record of gracious service.
The architect-trustee of the Cardiff YMCA of the 1850s, Mr. J. Follett Fawckner, moved to Newport, but there was no abatement in his enthusiasm for the YMCA and it was he who was the instrument by which the Newport YMCA became established.
Having attended a YMCA Conference in Bristol, he was inspired to make an effort to open an Association in Newport. A small Committee was gathered together and they too caught the enthusiasm of their Chairman. A room was taken over Savings Bank Chambers, Stow Hill, and that was the beginning of
the Newport YMCA. The year was 1869.
Mr. Fawckner conducted the Bible Class
. Devoted to his work, his influence
with young men was considerable. He was a young man's friend.
The sole accommodation was one room, but put to many YMCA uses. The Association prospered. The membership increased to the extent that in eight years a new building was erected at a cost of £2,727. This was the first section of the present YMCA Buildings in Commercial Street.
The response to these efforts to provide more attractive and more extensive quarters was immediate. The membership continued to increase and programme activities became more comprehensive.
The pattern of the London YMCA was adopted. The trend of activities was evangelical and the influence of the Cardiff methods and programme were evident.